Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:13:53 -0400
From:         dieselwesty <dieselwesty@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: The Power of the List - and just helpful folks.
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>

I had a similar experience this past Friday with a non-list member. Dave, just a nice guy in the right place at the right time. I was taking my wife and son on our first long distance ride to Penn State University from the New Jersey Shore, about a 300 mile ride each way. Having just installed a new 1.9l NA motor in my 82 Diesel Westy, I of course was concerned about overheating or mechanical failure. 2 test drives to work was all the break-in time I got, about 180 miles total. All seemed fine, brakes felt a little funny as they did before the 1.6l motor died. Since my Vanagon had been sitting since last X-mas, the driver side front ATE caliper pistons were not retracting and after about 2 hours of driving, were really heating things up to the point I had to pull of Rt. 33 North Bound in the middle of no where, about 20 miles above Easton, PA. I pull the wheel off and thinks look OK, but are WAY too hot, so the dragging was getting worse with the heat. I figure it is either wheel bearing or caliper pistons. A guy is in his yard next to the parking lot I am in, so I put the wheel back on and drive over to ask if he knows of any VW garages near by. He did know of a place up the road a mile or two that works on Vanagons. We called and they said "sure, we will fix it, Monday" It was about 5:45pm Friday night. I had thoughts of trying to call Chris Turner, as I know he lived about 45 minutes away. Dave says he would be glad to help me re-pak the wheel bearing. After pulling the bearing cap off, things looked good in there, still factory grease after 20 years. We ended up just working the pistons a bit and sprayed WD-40 in there. It did free things up and I was able to complete my trip to PSU for the football game and camping with friends. If it were not for that guy, it would have been a very BAD weekend. THANK YOU Dave. You should own a VW too.

Bryan Belman Pt. Pleasant, NJ 1990 Audi 200 Turbo (Money Pit) 1982 Westy 1.9l NA (Swap is done) 1970 Type1 Std. Beetle (This one is done) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Golen" <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2001 5:29 PM Subject: The Power of the List - Thank you Alan Bosch!!