Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:21:30 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Westy Man Struck Gold ?
Comments: cc: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

On a recent trip to Marble Falls Texas I camped near an old rock quarry. I noticed some shiny stuff in the stream among the rocks and sand. I've found gold! Not really it was just pyrite that is commonly known as Fools Gold. It didn't take long for me to wake up since Pyrite is flaky and floats to the surface and Gold is heavy and settles to the bottom of stream beds and Really! Gold in Texas, give me a break. Not to be outdone I filled my gear box (6 cubic feet) my emergency bathroom bucket (5 gallons) and a few plastic trash bags with the shiny gravel. I brought it home and distributed it around my front flower / rock / cactus bed (3 feet from the street) and now I have to sit up nights with a shotgun to keep the neighbors from digging up my flower bed. They never mess with my smooth flat or round river rocks but that darn pyrite just plays on their heads.

Stan Wilder

Pyrite (from Encarta Encyclopedia, thanks Microsoft!)

Pyrite, also iron pyrites or fool's gold, mineral composed of iron sulfide, FeS2, the most common sulfide mineral. It crystallizes in the isometric system (see Crystal) and frequently occurs as well-defined crystals as well as in massive formations. The mineral is brass yellow, is opaque, and has a metallic luster. The resemblance of pyrite to gold caused many prospectors to mistake it for gold, and it became known as fool's gold. It is distinguished from gold by its brittleness and by its hardness, which ranges between 6 and 6.5; the specific gravity is 4.95 to 5.1. Pyrite is a common mineral in sedimentary rocks and also occurs in igneous and metamorphic rocks. It is often associated with coal formations and sometimes occurs associated with gold or copper. Large deposits are found throughout the world; deposits in Spain and Portugal are particularly noteworthy. In the U.S. important deposits occur in Arizona, Colorado, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, and Virginia. Pyrite is not mined as an iron ore, except in countries where iron-oxide ores are not available, because of the difficulty of removing the sulfur. It is used mainly in the commercial production of sulfuric acid and of copperas, or ferrous sulfate (see Sulfur).

Marcasite, a mineral of the same composition as pyrite, is called white iron pyrites. It is opaque, with a metallic luster, and is pale—bronze yellow or almost white when freshly fractured. The hardness is the same as that of pyrite. The specific gravity varies from 4.85 to 4.90. Marcasite is distinguished from pyrite by the difference in color, crystal habit, and by chemical tests. It is more easily decomposed than pyrite and is much less common in occurrence. Marcasite is used, to a much lesser extent than pyrite, in making sulfuric acid.

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.