Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:18:00 -0400
From:         Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      1.9 liter camshaft checking and more
Comments: cc: rior@GARLIC.COM

Rio wrote

>I will probably be rebuilding my 1.9 waterboxer and will have to consider >the camshaft. I can't find specifications for *lobe lift* and other cam >specs to be sure my cam has not worn excessively. >Can someone advise? >Also, does anyone have experience with regrinding a stock cam? (good, bad, >indifferent...)

Reo The lift is not as big a problem with a used cam as keeping the lifters rotating can be. The WBX 1.9 .2.1 cams unlike most automotive camshafts is flat across the top when new and the lifter have some bevel but not a full convex face this helps keep the lifter turning as the lobe sweeps across the face of the lifter The lift at the push rod for the intake varies but the new oem 1.9 cam I have in stock has a lift for the intake at the lifter of .290 ths and the exhaust lift at the lifter is .265 ths this is the same as the bug profile from 1961 threw 1979. The 2.1 WBX cam intake lift at the lifter is .326 ths and the exhaust lift at the lifter is .315 ths. The 2.1 cam also has about 20 Degrees more duration than the bug - 1.9 cam measured at .040 ths lift. this might sound like a good upgrade at first but the 2.1 thas more compression and if used might take away some low end and mid range power. the reason im told is that the increased duration bleeds of some compression

I use and stock reground 1.9 2.1 cams and also the famous lilley grind. this cam has a very small amount more duration than stock and a couple of ths less lift and is a good add on when doing some head work. the price of a stock reground cam is $75 and the lilley cam is $95 the lilley cam has high side and a low side to the lobe and a special lifter profile is required

The biggest problem you will be faced with is the lack of German main bearings for the 1.9. there is more than one maker of after market rear main bearings for this engine. they are made of aircraft quality aluminum and I have not heard of anybody that's used them encountering any problems to this point. I have inspected and measured a couple of rear mains from 2 different makers and find that the sizing is ok for the most part but needs to be checked every time. I have some sets of these main bearings in stock at $99

the other thing that needs close attention paid to it is the bearing bore size the 1.9 cases are known for loosing the crush on the bearing after years of service. The crush is important for three reasons it holds the bearing tight in the case it helps maintain hot oil pressure and its important in heat dissipation. I have found the need to alignbore almost every 1.9 case in order to get the right bearing fit.

there is more to rebuilding an engine than taking it apart and throwing in some new parts in as you reassemble and reseal the engine and that more is Clearances Clearances Clearances

as always all rights reserved

Bob Donalds

http://www.bostonengine.com

[text/html]