Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:03:51 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      On Exhaust Cracking,
              Vibration and Noise (not short) for Converted Vgons
Comments: To: vanagon@volkswagen.org, albell@uvic.ca, mjgarske@home.com,
          subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com, roadcow@mcn.org

Several recent posts on both the Vanagon and Subaru-vanagon lists have recently addressed the issue of exhaust pipe cracking, noise and vibration for vanagon engine conversion systems. While my comments really refer to the I4 conversion approach, there are clearly aspects of the problem that also pertain to the Subaru boxer motor as well. I have gone on at length about this problem in the archives, so go there for more info.

For those of you who thought you were to be spared another long posting from this address, I can only note that I have been on travel, and not had ready access to post in a more timely fashion.

First, the problem of exhaust pipe cracking and breakage. There are three key issues here:

1. Proper suspension of the exhaust system 2. Exhaust gas temperature 3. Exhaust system length.

For the first issue: Proper suspension. The design of the diesel exhaust system mount is instructive. The engine mounts have a cast landing for an unusual muffler mount. I say unusual because it only allows a several mm. Movement laterally, and virtually no movement perpendicular to the engine’s long axis. Note also that there is only one rubber isolation mount on the passenger side while two orthogonal axis rubber mounts are used on the driver’s side. Closer inspection of the rubber mounts show that these are basically passive vibration isolators, in the tradition of motor mounts as opposed to the traditional exhaust mounting hardware used on American and Japanese (and other VW) automobiles. These mounts are primarily designed to dampen resonant vibration modes. Because the mounts are fixing the diesel exhaust rigidly to the motor, they are only allowing for differential thermal expansion. I say rigidly, because all of the exhaust train is bolted together: head to exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe to muffler to tail pipe. Not a flex joint in the mass. Also, with no connection to the body other than through the engine and transmission mounts, there is no impact on vibration isolation from the body with this mounting system. The point is that the mount fixing points on either side of the muffler are primarily dampers to keep vibrations from amplifying and adding to the precarious stress profile seen from thermal stresses.

When these mount points are “improved on” by the DIY installer or the uninformed engine kit entrepreneur, or the local muffler jockey, the engine mount points are changed, the mount material is changed and the muffler/exhaust system is changed. What changes? Well, stiffness, mass, central moment (like center of gravity) pipe length and pipe diameter. Effect of change? System has a new set of resonances. Buzz is a big part. Lord knows the original VW solution was a compromise as every vanagon N/A can readily attest. Add these resonances to heat and the result is cracked exhaust, just ask when!

But note, the exhaust on the original VW (or Subaru) donor car was quite superior to the conversion product. Why? Well, the phalanx of number crunching snuffies at their disposal for one thing, the number of units they made for another. Nothing like building a s**wad of anything to eventually get it right. Two big differences in the exhaust systems for the Golf and Jetta:

A. They are longer B. Flexible segments are built in. In the single port manifold, the clamped swivel joint provides stress relief. In the dual port arrangement, a full flex joint is provided.

Second problem: Exhaust temperature.

The details of the combustion process are complex but not counter-intuitive. In even modern engine designs like the 8V watercooled I4 group, the waterboxer and the Subie knock-off, the fuel has not been completely consumed before exiting into the exhaust manifold. How much unburnt fuel remains in the gas stream in the exhaust manifold depends on the air/fuel ratio, the ignition timing, the camshaft timing, the exhaust system flow and to a lesser extent the intake manifold flow. Now many amateurs and professionals change several of these parameters simultaneously with any engine conversion. First, the air/fuel ratio: effected by the location of the O2 sensor, leaks in the exhaust system, intake air leaks, air flow pattern between the air flow sensor and the throttle, etc, etc. Rich, open loop or full throttle operation, higher exhaust temps and the peak burn point further away from the combustion chamber. Second, timing and chipping. The issue here is both idle specs and the advance curve. Retarded timing, more gas burning in exhaust. Camshaft timing: often off +/- half a camshaft sprocket tooth. Could be worse. Different cam from stock. Net effect more unburnt mixture out the exhaust valve.

But the biggest issue after timing mistakes is that of flow. The standard gas I4 install has three times the linear footage after the exhaust manifold as does the typical vanagon application. Consequently, the peak afterburn front moves out from the head significantly. Use a larger exhaust pipe diameter than the diesel for serious flow, bring the high temperature exhaust gases further down into the exhaust pipe. The gases are cooled by scattering from the walls and conduction by thermal transfer to the pipe walls. Higher flow also moves the peak flow out from the head.

The net effect: the exhaust pipe and muffler run far hotter that the materials are designed for. When I first stumbled into this problem, my stainless steel RV muffler was rattling. Took it back to my TIC (means tongue-in-cheek) muffler shop. Diagnosis … muffler baffler came loose. Replaced defective muffler. Back again. Hmmm, baffles loose again. Well we sectioned the muffler and found the interior had crystallized! Hot, Hot. FMD (friendly muffler dude) lectures me. Says it will go faster if I burn the fuel in the combustion chamber, not the muffler. OK, Brute force. Larger stronger (largest, strongest) muffler installed. Then exhaust pipe cracks. Always at welded seams, always crystallized.

Too hot plus vibration. Will do it every time.

BTW, vibration means noise after pumping the spectrum into the air and the body.

So, the third problem, system length. The plain fact is that it is easy to put a high flow exhaust on an I4 powered vanagon, it’s hard to generate one with the back pressure of the stock Jetta or Golf. Any exhaust (possible exception is the original diesel version bolted on to a gas engine) will have a significantly higher flow that the G/J group. Most aftermarket mufflers and cats have significantly higher flow than stock. Also the tube length is nearly 50% less, so conversion exhaust is likely to flow twice the stock G/J value.

Finally, noise! The length of the exhaust strongly dampened acoustic pulses. As for resonances, lengthen the tube, lower the resonant frequency. Three times the length, about one third the frequency for resonance.

So what are the answers:

1. Proper suspension .. I use stiff hangers at stock locations. Details in the archives. Must have two point mount (at least). Both sides of muffler must be supported. Support to motor, not body. Add flexible element between cat/muffler and manifold. This will allow differential thermal expansion and will impede flow substantially, thereby reducing temperature at cat/muffler. Frankly, I use the dual port manifold and the dual port flex factory mount before going to collector, then cat/muffler, then out.

2. Add EGT monitor (exhaust gas temperature) gauge. Works well. Or use handheld IR pyrometer to map temp along pipe circuit. Them change ignition timing to move burn front back.

3. Don’t wrap system with insulating wrap. Will lead to even higher wall temperatures and faster failure.

4. Add turbocharger to end of exhaust. This will stop the flame front and nearly eliminate the racket. More power too if you connect the compressor output to the throttle body inlet. Assumes you connected compressor inlet to AFM, etc, etc.

5. Stop being so impatient! Run the exhaust gas circuit forward towards the driver, past the trans, across the body center, back to the rear on the pass side, into muffler and then out on the driver’s side rear.

For more details on the “best” exhaust (defined as quiet, good power, quiet, good economy, quiet), I sent the following excerpt to Alison Bell about the long exhaust and turbo solution: (This was to be sent several weeks before the current traffic)

Alistair,

I wanted to propose a dialog about exhaust system routing. I think several things are clear:

1. Longer exhaust will send cooler gases to the muffler, reducing internal muffler failure from embrittlement and crystallization. The inlet pipes to my muffler (stainless) are discoloring because of high temperatures and high temperature exhaust manifold paint quickly burns off.

2. Longer exhaust will cause some backpressure which is probably good. Right now, the short closely coupled systems (mine in particular) show high EGT values suggesting that the burning charge wave is moving near or into the exhaust manifold. The O2 ratios and cycling are fine, but the sensor is really hot. Next weekend I may use the pyrometer to map the exhaust temperatures, but this is only easily done at idle. Some backpressure will be consistent with the Air/Fuel/Timing maps of the ECU. Should reduce temperatures in the chamber (peak) and help quench the hot exhaust at the manifold by reducing flow.

3. The longer exhaust will also cut down on the exhaust noise characteristic on the I4. Now, the muffler and resonator hold down the racket in my installation, but at 4 to 5000 rpm it is still obnoxious in the rear passenger area.

4. Lower muffler temperatures will reduce the heat soaking the engine compartment probably extending the lifetime of many components and reducing oil temperatures.

So, ..... This past weekend, I was studying the engine layout possibilities. Following your advice, I am using a SAAB 900 Turbo intercooler (air to air) which will cool the compressed air from the turbo. It mounts cleanly in the drivers side area behind the rear wheel. Currently, I plan to open the bottom of the engine air scoop area (where I have the air cleaner mounted, I will add a small radiator fan at the base of the opened cavity; then do an aluminum interface between the body, fan and intercooler. Finally, I will mount a rear-facing duct, sealed towards the tire, to eject air to the rear of the van. I'm thinking this will eliminate the possibility of waterborne mud from the rear tire spray clogging the intercooler fins. As far as size goes, it looks like the intercooler was designed for this application.

My second major issue is that of a special oil sump for the turbo and a pump to clear it. I have settled on an aluminum extra capacity oil sump from the Beetle air-cooled applications. By using a sump cover on the top and bottom, I can drain the sump at will, use a pipe through the top cover into the VW screen arrangement to feed deareated oil to the external hydraulic pump, weld a short flange into the top for the turbo oil return outlet to dump into the sump. A vent line in the top cover will go to the crankcase vent system. The pump (I have chosen a gear pump from Barnes flowing 3 gallons per minute) will be mounted on a regular VW power steering pump bracket, driven by a v-belt. Actually looks just like the vane power steering pump. Oil sucked from the turbo sump will go from the pump to the external Mazda RX-7 oil cooler and then into the main oil sump. It looks like the VW sump extension (1.5 quart capacity) will fit between the turbo and the block. There is a clear space to the rear of the block of up to 5 inches(before interference with the trans and the CV joints.

The SAAB turbo has a clean 2.5 inch diameter exhaust pipe outlet with a 3 point conical mount. The muffler shop could easily take the exhaust straight back from the turbo outlet bringing it up to clear the CV joint area and then ... .

Looking at the undercarriage, the problem is the large cross member just forward of the transmission. There are holes for the former heater air tubes. One could see a three piece exhaust pipe going from the turbo to a junction near the heater hole, then a cross piece going from that junction to the junction on the other side, then passenger side junction to the muffler. The muffler could still run widthwise across the rear, with the outlet on the drivers side rear.

Any other ideas? Heat shields can be used to buffer any heat to the floor, so I don't think floor heating is an issue. I can see going forward to the van midpoint level with the crossover pipe. Perhaps welding in a resonator in the center crossover section. Of course, the turbo will really reduce the sound level to begin with. But ... ideas, comments,

Thinking,

Frank

Well, as always, too long. But I wanted to say it. All comments eagerly accepted (well positively anticipated, … well solicited at least!)

Hope this helps someone.

Frank Grunthaner