Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:42:12 -0400
From:         dieselwesty <dieselwesty@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dan's Diesel Rebuild Part 6
Comments: To: Dan Snow <dieselvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>

I would take the motor and trans out all at once. 5 bolts in total. Very easy. Put a long floor dolly under the motor, trans, and block it up so the motor will sit on the floor dolly. Unbolt the motor, trans and let it sit on floor dolly.

Use a cherry picker and strong rope to rap around the vanagon bumper mounts between the van an bumper. Lift the back of the van up enough to clear the motor and trans when you roll it out the back of the van. Put it on jack stands. Put the jack stands on the cross bar in front of the jack points.

Now remove the cherry picker and roll the floor dolly out the back of the van.

Hook up the cherry picker again and lift the van off the floor jacks and lower the empty van back down to earth. This worked great for me in reverse order to install my new motor and trans as a single piece.

I did not remove the motor from the van, it was the middle of winter do I paid a garage $180 bucks to do it for me...ouch.

Bryan Belman (dieselwesty@yahoo.com) Pt. Pleasant, NJ 1990 Audi 200 Turbo (Money Pit) 1982 Westy 1.9l NA (Swap is done) 1970 Type1 Std. Beetle (This one is done) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Snow" <dieselvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 12:40 PM Subject: Dan's Diesel Rebuild Part 6