Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Sep 2001 17:29:58 -0400
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      The Power of the List - Thank you Alan Bosch!!

Hi All,

Ordinarily I'd send this directly to Alan, but I felt this had to be done via the list....

My oldest son Erik is at RIT in Rochester, NY (about 420 miles from home)....and of course he drives a VW, specifically an 84 Vanagon (his other car were my old GTI and a 78 bus which caught fire). Last week he called to tell me that the front brakes were grinding, and that he went to Monroe Brakes to get an estimate. Well, they told him that he needed a complete brake job - $800+.

I suggested that he take out his Bentley manual and do it himself. Unfortunately, Erik hasn't quite the same mechanical genes as his father. So I suggested that he contact Alan Bosch.

We met Alan Bosch a couple of years ago for breakfast in Rochester (along with Joel Cort). It was one of those "is there any one on the list in (you name the city)" type of get togethers. From time to time we've run into Alan....after I bought my 87 Westy, I found out that Alan had his sights on the very same Westy...we bumped into eachother at Transporters by the Tunnel this summer...so I felt comfortable in sending Erik off to find Alan.

Erik emailed Alan, and Alan volunteered to help out....I told Erik to contact Bus Depot for the parts...which arrived on time (contrary to some of the postings on the list).

Erik just called....he and Alan spent about five hours doing the front pads and rear shoes. Erik is extremely happy to have new brakes and a new friend. (Interestingly enough it appears that Monroe only checked out one wheel when they did the "complete estimate")

I'm of course extremely happy that he can safely drive his van around town again! I guess the bottom line is that this list is a wonderful resource, and its members are always there to lend a hand. Its folks like Alan who make it work!

Alan, thank you for taking time out this weekend to help my son, I really appreciate your time and help!

Ric