Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:02:49 -0700
From:         Calvin Bruce <zippydoodah@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: head gasket problem ?

All this talk about how the system pressurizes while heating up. See the Bently manual for a basic description of cold and hot operating pressures. The cap is designed to open at a specific pressure to allow the coolant to "overflow" into the overflow tank. Then as the system cools the vacuum created in the cooling system pulls fluid back under normal circumstances.Now when things go haywire-->

"Test #2

Start the engine cold with no pressure indicated on the gauge. The pressure in the cooling system builds to aprox 7 lbs at normal running temps looking around for leaks. But if the pressure builds quickly to around 15 lbs the pressure is coming from one of the cylinders through the inner head gasket. This can also show up as a coolant pressure loss in the fist test. In extreme cases the cylinder can fill with coolant, and will not turn over. This is know as hydraulic lock, and if you suspect this pull the spark plugs and try to turn the engine again. Pulling the plugs from the engine allows water to escape from the spark plug holes."

Frankly, sounds like a head gasket problem, actually the upper cylinder "o" ring allowing exhaust gases into the cooling system, (see below). I'm having the same problem and am just about ready to pull heads and inspect and or replace the head gaskets myself.... Should be your standard torture. I'd rather roll around in broken glass. But, oh well, I can't afford the $2000+ at the shop... I'm expecting about a $1000 tops, if the heads need to be replaced, yet again, due to the infamous corrosion problem. Yeah, yeah, I use distilled water and non-phosphate anti-freeze but there it is again....

Check out the following, pay particular attention to the pressure test.... I also understand if you take the van to a smog station the people can be persuaded to test for exhaust gas in the cooling system, a dead give away... Good luck...

A description of head problems is available at: http://www.vanagon.com/ then under "Problems, then Head Leaks." In particular, to quote from the site and take notice of the SECOND head gasket problem:

------

What is the head gasket problem, anyway?

Tim Smith writes:

Coolant leaks out of the engine, by squeezing under the fat rubber head gasket on the head side. The gasket is flat, no groove or lips, so the path is easy for the coolant to get through. Coolant creeps under the gasket edge from day 1 in a new engine, due to water pressure and the use of a soft gasket material. The coolant becomes trapped under the gasket, and creates local corrosion pockets. This is known as 'crevice corrosion' and is due to bad engineering at VAG. Once the aluminium head starts to corrode in the pockets the 'rust' puffs up a bit allowing more coolant seepage deeper under the gasket. The process continues until it reaches the outside, whence it starts dripping. The hardening of the rubber with age, and the repeated expansion/contraction of the water jackets aggravate this problem as the van ages. The only fix if leaking is new gaskets and perhaps new heads. Small leaks/drips may respond to BarsLeak. This is one type of head leak, and is definitely fatal. This problem may suddenly appear in late fall as colder overnight temps. are encountered, causing the water jackets to contract enough to leak out the weakened gaskets seal. Look for drops of coolant under the van.

The second type of head gasket leak is coolant over the top of the internal cylinder barrels, past an O-ring and large thin metal gasket. This allows coolant into barrels, giving some white smoke/missing on startup, but more importantly loosing coolant and letting combustion gasses into the coolant circuit. This is usually noticed when the overflow tank suddenly fills up with a hot engine, and draws back in while cooling. This leak is less common than the first, and gives longer warning time. It can sometimes be fixed by retorquing down the heads.

-------

Now, Bently says, never recycle the coolant. Always renew. the same Web site has a discussion on fluid, "the blue stuff."

-------

Now, from the same site above, same area, "Problems, then Head Leaks"

How do I fix the heads myself?

Bob Donalds of Boston Engine has written an excellent technical article on replacing your heads.

*

A Gearheads View of Wasserboxer Head Replacement

Pressure Tests for the Cooling System

Test #1

The first test of the cooling system is done when the engine is cold. A cooling system pressure tester can be installed in place of the radiator cap. Pressure in the cooling system and hot coolant are not something to be treated lightly. Use caution, and never remove the radiator cap from a engine that has been run even for even a short time. After installing the gauge, pump it up to 10 pounds. Look around for leaks if the gauge shows any pressure loss. Common trouble spots include heads, hoses, water pump and rear heater core. If you smell something sweet when you turn the heater fans on, it may be a coolant leak at one of the heater cores, or simply the O-ring at the rear heater valve leaking. Because there is often more then one leak in the system, it is necessary to continue pressure testing until the system holds pressure.

Test #2

Start the engine cold with no pressure indicated on the gauge. The pressure in the cooling system builds to aprox 7 lbs at normal running temps looking around for leaks. But if the pressure builds quickly to around 15 lbs the pressure is coming from one of the cylinders through the inner head gasket. This can also show up as a coolant pressure loss in the fist test. In extreme cases the cylinder can fill with coolant, and will not turn over. This is know as hydraulic lock, and if you suspect this pull the spark plugs and try to turn the engine again. Pulling the plugs from the engine allows water to escape from the spark plug holes.

-------

Now it sounds like your cooling system is being pressurized. There is only one or two major ways this can happen.

Good luck...

Calvin...