Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Sep 2001 00:32:24 -0400
From:         The Hammad Family <blotto@DANDY.NET>
Subject:      Fw: What's Wrong with my 83' Vanagon?

----- Original Message ----- From: The Hammad Family To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 11:59 AM Subject: What's Wrong with my 83' Vanagon?

I have a 83', 1.9L fuel injected Vanagon. I have replaced all engine gaskets, (including heads) water pump, thermostat, fan switch, fuel filter, O2 sensor, piston rings, complete tune-up and probably a half dozen other things I can't recall right now. I have also checked out most off the sensors (coolant sensor #2, injectors, and etc) and any others my equipment could do all checked out within specs. I used a vacuum gauge to check for exhaust back pressure (cat converter) looked good as well. The problem I am having is that the bus idles badly, shaky like. When I take it for a road test it's breaking up at low RPMs and when I rev it real high it also breaks up. It kind of sound like it is running on 3 cylinders. Another item worth mentioning is that if I let off the throttle just right it kicks in and sounds and runs like it should (much quitter and a lot smoother). I had an exhaust gas analyzer hooked up to it and the mechanic adjusted the CO supposedly within specs. He also checked the fuel pump pressure and found it to be OK. Any logical comments are appreciated. Also the recommendation of a excellent VW mechanic in NJ would be helpful!

Thanks,

Otto

[text/html]