Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Sep 2001 08:29:41 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@BANGORNEWS.INFI.NET>
Subject:      Re: head gasket problem ?
Comments: To: wolfgang <wolfgang@PIPELINE.COM>

Hi Wolfgang,

This may not be your problem, but ......

I just replaced one of my heads and re-sealed the other.

I had similar problems and thought it to be a leaking head gasket. I had done a compression test and found that #1 would not hold pressure. When I disassembled I noticed that the gaskets didn't indicate that there had been any sort of leak so I had that head pressure tested at a local machine shop. It failed for #1 cylinder. The crack between the valves was too wide/deep and was where the combustion gas was getting into the coolant. (The cracks between the valve seats in all other cylinders were very fine and were no problem)

I got a new head (and gaskets among other stuff) from "Van-again" ... re-assembled and no more coolant problem.

My real message is ... do a compression test. If one or more cylinders won't hold pressure then you're going to have to take it apart to find out why and repair or replace something. DO have the heads pressure tested before re-using.

Good luck with it,

Mike '84 GL .... ON THE ROAD AGAIN

----- Original Message ----- From: "wolfgang" <wolfgang@PIPELINE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 8:36 AM Subject: head gasket problem ?