Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Sep 2001 19:58:25 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Syncro Safari 2001, Baja - Thanksgiving Week
Comments: To: "syncrosafari@egroups.com" <syncrosafari@egroups.com>,
          "Syncro@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro@yahoogroups.com>

The Syncro Safari 2001 will be held the week of Thanksgiving in Baja California Sur, Mexico. The destination is a beautiful beach campground on the lovely and calm Sea of Cortez for almost a week of kayaking, swimming, fishing, shell gathering,etc. It is about 600 miles south of the border and I have stayed there with my wife Anne many times.

2WD Vanagons are welcome as the main travel route is paved. The final 10 mile leg is dirt but suitable for just about any vehicle if driven carefully. Kids are welcome and desired as some will be coming and the more the merrier.

The main group will leave the US early on the morning Saturday, November 17. We will drive all day and camp before dark at a fully improved secure campground in the Guerro Negro area. This place has a nice restaurant, hot showers, and rooms available along with camp spots.

Sunday we will get on the road early and arrive at our final beach camping area in time for lunch. The camp has fresh water showers, pit toilets, and much beauty. There is a hotel/restaurant/bar a mile or so away along with a small market for supplies. Sun,Mon,Tues,Wed, nights will be spent at the beach camp. Days will be spent as we see fit, depending on the weather. There may be some Syncro excursions for those who want to get a look at more remote areas and some will be sight seeing at the Bahia de Conception.

Thursday we plan to go into the town of Mulege for a Thanksgiving dinner at a local restaurant. Some or all of us will be moving from the beach camp to a fully improved camp in the palm trees along the Mulege river. From there we can walk to town for the dinner and whatever fun we can find.

Friday afternoon we will start back and drive about 3 hours to a fully improved campground at a desert oasis. This place has a restaurant, hot showers, rooms for rent, and camping spots.

Saturday we will drive the rest of the way back to the border, crossing after dark at what is usually a slow time so the lines should be shorter.

Camping fees are $10 per vehicle per night. Gas is $2 per gallon. There is no problem with fuel quality.

There are some people planning to leave a day earlier and stay Fri night at the Pacific Ocean front camp where a list member has a weekend getaway cabin 3 hours south of the border. We will be meeting up with this group Saturday morning for the remainder of the trip. There will be a gathering spot in Oceanside for Friday night for those needing to get that far the night before we cross the border going south. Likewise for the return trip so people can stay the night Saturday after we cross the border coming back north.

Again, we will drive down Sat morning Nov 17, return Sat evening Nov 24.

Anyone interesting in attending should contact me for more info.

Thanks, Mark and Anne Drillock