Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Sep 2001 08:06:21 -0400
From:         Kenneth D Lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Low Oil Pressure vs. Cooling System Efficiency (Long)
Comments: To: CyrusWV@AOL.COM

Mark; Good job! Glad to hear it. If only you also had a VDO oil temperature gauge so you could have shared some before and after data there. Was the radiator clogged? If so you might consider the oil-to-water heat exchanger might also have a poor heat exchange efficiency also.

Good Luck and Drive Safely Ken Lewis 86 Crewcab,60 356 http://Neksiwel.20m.com/

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:18:16 EDT Mark Smith <CyrusWV@AOL.COM> writes: Having just replaced the original radiator on my 87GL with one of Bus Depot's South African models, I thought those listees with marginal or low oil pressure might be interested in the results. The conventional wisdom of this list seems to suggest worn bearings as the usual cause of low oil pressure on our aging 2.1 engines. While this may be true in many if not most cases, I am delighted to report this was not the case with my 87, now sporting 165,000 miles on its original engine and heads.

I previously attempted to increase my oil pressure by rebuilding the oil pump and did achieve some improvement from this painful procedure. However, my oil light continued to come on after extended highway or mountain driving and especially after prolonged idling in city traffic. My VDO oil pressure gauge often indicated as low as 3 to 5 psi at 1000 RPM making me fear it was past time to give Boston Bob a call.

My factory temperature gauge was always above the center range LED light after warm up, often around 3/4 of the way to the top, and even higher in stopped city traffic. I had previously replaced the thermostat and radiator fan switch with lower temperature models with no improvement.

After replacing the radiator I was simply amazed with the increase in oil pressure. Thus far I have not seen it below 10 to 12 psi at 1000 RPM after an extended mix of interstate and city driving. I now have 35 to 40 psi at 3000 RPM after warm up and my temperature gauge stays just to the low side of the light, even after allowing the engine to idle for extended periods.

I now feel like "Jimmy Joe" has a new lease on life and would highly recommend this procedure to anyone doubting the cause of their marginal or low oil pressure.

Mark Smith West Virginia

[text/html]