Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Sep 2001 01:47:15 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Anyone have suburban heater in vanagon?
Comments: To: Andrew M Fox <andrewf@HAWAII.EDU>

Andrew M Fox wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have a suburban heater in their vanagon?

Andrew, I have had a 30,000 BTU Suburban Propane fired heater in my van. Not my Vanagon, but my 1968 Type II Bread Box.

I got it from a friend whose motorhome burned. The heater was one of the few salvageable things in it. Since I had a very straight Type II Transporter, I had to buy a propane tank for it and I got one that went under the van like the Westy's. Another friend who worked for an RV dealer installed the heater for me. I made a cabinet that fit right on the floor directly behind the driver seat. A hole was cut in the side of the van to accomodate the air intake and exhaust plate. The heater was bolted to the floor and the intake and exhaust hooked up to the plate outside. The propane line came in through a hole in the floor, sealant was applied around the hole on the hose to seal it. A thermostat with an off switch was installed on the door post directly behind and left of the driver's ear. Easily reached from the driver seat. The Suburban unit had electronic pilot, so if a bump in the road put out the flame, it would automatically restart.

I drove in Alaska for several years with this unit and it was great!!! I never had the occasion to use it on any over night camping trips or what ever, but it worked great for general use. It was especially useful in that you could set the thremostat to come on and warm the van 30 minutes before getting off work. The unit was so strong and put out so much heat that it would melt the snow off your car before you could get off work. Nice to have that warm vehicle on leaving work at the end of the day in winter. under those conditions the propane tank lasted about three/four days in winter.

I had it hooked to the regular battery, but would recommend having a deep cycle battery with trickle charger for routine operation.

BTW, the heater could be run while you were driving.

The Suburban heater is a good way to go.

John Rodgers 88 GL driver