Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Sep 2001 10:28:18 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: any flux capacitor conversions available?
Comments: To: mwsnow@HOME.COM

Well guys! I'm real pleased with myself for having remembered the sketchy details of a story that I heard several years ago. So I consider myself very fortunate for remembering at all. I'm working on remembering my wife's birthday, our anniversary and a few other simple dates. If I foul up again this year you may send flowers to any veterans hospital, parts of my body will be distributed among them.

Stan Wilder

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001 08:02:23 -0700 Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM> writes: > This is a slightly modified version of the incident that won the 1995 > Darwin > Award. It was later determined to be a hoax. Check out > http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/index_darwin1995.html > > Mike Snow > > > > > There was a memo put out the employees at the General Dynamics > plant in > > Grand Prairie Texas about two years ago, I'm going to try to > repeat as > > best I remember what the memo said. > > > > Recently the authorities discovered a large grey stain on a rock > face of > > ,,, Mountain rock face. After further investigation it was > discovered > > that the stain was comprised of a 64 Chevrolet and the remaining > parts of > > the same vehicle. > > Upon further investigation the authorities discovered that the > owner of > > the vehicle had recently attended a US Air force auction and > purchased a > > surplus JATO cartridge. His friends said the man that purchased > the JATO > > cartridge spent several weeks modifying the 64 Chevrolet to mount > the > > JATO cartridge as a means of propelling the car to around 200 > miles an > > hour. > > Air force officials speculated that the Chevrolet weighed > approximately > > 3500 pounds and the JATO cartridge provide boost in excess of > 50,000 > > pounds. They further predicted that the Chevrolet became fully > > uncontrolled at approximately 140 miles per hour and shortly > afterwards > > at about 235 miles per hour became fully airborne and crashed into > the > > 800 foot rock face at the 500 foot altitude causing the grey stain > on the > > rocks. > > Skid marks on the highway indicate that the vehicles driver tried > to gain > > control and reduce his speed repeatedly approximately five miles > from the > > impact point. It is estimated based on the thrust produced that > the > > vehicle was traveling in excess of 1000 miles per hour at the > point of > > impact on the rock face. > > The vehicle owner or any remains of his body have never been found > and it > > has rained recently in the area causing the grey stain to rust and > blend > > in with the colors of the natural stone color of the rock face. > > The wife of the deceased driver of the 64 Chevrolet said that her > husband > > had purchased two of the JATO capsules and the remaining cartridge > had > > been stolen from his barn. > > If any person currently working for this facility has any > information on > > the location or the whereabouts of the missing JATO cartridge, > please > > come forward or drop a note in any of the suggestion boxes so we > can > > recover the JATO before another unfortunate accident occurs. > > > > Now that is supposed to be a true story. > > > > Stan Wilder > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.