Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:09:06 -0700
From:         Dan Snow <dieselvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Dan's Diesel Rebuild Part 7

First, I need to clarify from the previous post that the donor diesel engine is a 1.6D. It is not a 1.5.

So, the rebuild took a turn for the worse yesterday. After powerwashing and re-oiling the new block in preparation for rebuilding it, I discovered that it takes the 12mm head bolts and my head takes 11mm bolts. (this is opposite from the condition I first suspected). The 12mm ones ALMOST fit through my good vanagon head, but don't quite. Even if they did slip down through the bolt holes in the head, the place where the washers seat isn't big enough to accomodate the bigger 12mm bolt washers. So I went into a funk for a few hours. The attraction of this project, besides the aesthetic beauty of the Vanagon itself, is the thought of doing it essentially for free. I got the van for almost free, and I sold one of my mopeds to finance the rest. Now I'm worried that I'll burn through my $240 budget (snicker if you will) before I even get the damned thing running. Sigh.

So, I guess I have three options-

1) try to get my good vanagon head to fit the new good dasher block, perhaps by paying a machine shop to bore out the bolt holes. Any thoughts on how much this should cost and whether the two halves are compatible once the machine work is done?

2) try to resurrect the head that came with the $60 dasher bottom end. It is of unknown condition, and I think I saw fairly serious cracking between some valves.

3) Pull my bad bottom end from the Vanagon and rebuild it using parts from the good dasher block. The Vanagon chewed up a con-rod bearing, and the crank is bad. So I would use the pristine pistons (say that ten times fast) and crank from the dasher. Question: Are the internals all compatible (eg bearings the same size, etc.), keeping in mind that the head bolts sure as heck aren't? I recall that there is very little "ridge" in the vanagon block cylinders.

BTW, I built a homepage dedicated to this project. As of now, It contains only our list emails about the project... http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/snow/vanagon/vanagon.html

Daniel Snow PhD Student UC Berkeley

'82 Vanagon Diesel '78 Puch Maxi Luxe Moped '01 Xootr Scooter