Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:57:26 -1000
From:         Mick Kalber <hotlava@INTERPAC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Those 20 Aussie Power Chips out there...How do you like it??

What are the changes that you have noticed?

I absolutely love my bus with the new mods... plenty of power when I need it... can make the entire Hamakua coast at at least 60. Runs smooth as silk... well, as smooth as the WBX ever runs. Started with chip, 1.4 ratio rolling rockers, cromoly push rods, k & n filter, quad tip plugs (may try triple tips next time... some listmembers say they're better), and synthetic motor oil. Have since changed to a synthetic/dino blend because I was using too much synthetic somehow... with the blend, oil consumption is significantly lower.

Gas mileage?

Gas mileage is about 1 - 3 mpg better as far as I can tell. It's really hard to accurately assess since the tank in the syncro is so damn hard to fill.

Power?

Greatly improved... hard to say exactly how much, but 10 - 20% would be my guess. She just has enough power now to operate without ever feeling bogged down. Sure I still have to keep the revs up a bit, but she's a lot more fun to drive... kinda sporty... a far cry from the stock WBX.

With or without ratio rockers?

With (see above)

Problems?

No problem whatsoever. Had to buy a new ecu in order to do the upgrade... found that I did not have an 022D. Listmember sold me a used one for a very reasonable price and I haven't had any problems ar all. I highly recommend this upgrade to anyone considering continuing to run their WBX for a while.

Mick Kalber 89 Syncro Westy "Daddeo" Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 808-935-5557 808-935-0066 (fax) hotlava@interpac.net www.volcanoscapes.com

[text/html]