Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Oct 2001 02:03:23 -0700
From:         TinkerMan <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      # Freewheelin' power mirrors...

Hello Volks!

It seems my 90 Vanagon GL is a never ending repair story (like all of you...;-) Of course, this is a result of it's growing age. Anyway, the current focus is the power mirrors:

1. The driver's side mirror has suddenly started Freewheelin' on it's hinge. I opened the mirror as per the Bentley instructions (damn! it's so easy to take it off the van. The mirror itself can be taken off in a second with an icecream stick...:-( ) to see what's the problem (I thought the nut/bolt was inside the mirror body) but could see none. So I took a peek at the underside of the hinge and indeed found the reason to be the locking nut to have come loose. Also, the plastic washer (between the locknut and the spring) was broken at one point. Now I tried to screw the nut back on the hinge bolt (the one which is part of the main mirror body) but doing so from below, working against the spring and gravity and with all those wires going through the nut and no proper tool (which seems to be a wide blade with a cavity in the middle) proved too hard to do. My conclusion was that I must take off the whole mirror mechanism off the door and work with it turned upside down. The problem is that I've got the screws locked from within the door with additional nuts, doing so after my other mirror was stolen, so I'd prefer doing the operation without taking it off. Bentley doesn't cater for this type of operation at all. Can it be done? should I try harder?...

2. Can anyone on this list point me to a recommended procedure, possibly easier than what I'm thinking of?

3. VW doesn't seem to stock internal replacement parts for the mirror (e.g. the broken plastic washer I mentioned above), just complete mirror sets (and these are damn expensive at $400!...:-( Do you think I can still use that washer (it's split in one place)? Do you know where I can get internal replacement parts?

4. Last but not least is the theft problem. I've awakend to this problem after my passenger's side power mirror was stolen under my window and a street lamp. It's just TOO EASY to steal them! It's just three clearly visible crosshead screws which takes 2 minutes to undo, and my thief didn't even bother with the bottem (hidden) screw: he simply ripped it off after removing the two top ones and caused damage to the door (tearing the third nut off the door). After this I immediately replaced the remaining mirror's bolts with stainless hex screws and added nuts from within the door. Still, it's SO EASY to remove the mirror itself with an screwdriver, an popcicle stick, even a car key by turning the circular latch pin that holds the mirror to the motor mechanism. Any other ideas how to protect these free $800 hanging outside my car, just waiting to be taken?...;-)

If possible, please send a copy of your response via p-mail so I don't miss it. Thanks!

===== Cheers, TinkerMan