Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Oct 2001 17:02:54 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Driving into NYC and using a parking Garage
Comments: To: ejstevens@earthlink.net

In a message dated 10/4/2001 6:38:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time, ejstevens@EARTHLINK.NET writes:

> I have to drive to NYC this weekend and I will undoubtably be using 1 or 2 > parking garages. >

Depending on where you have to be: There used to be a lot just north of W.57th Street on the east side of 11th or maybe 10th Avenue. It was self parking. Relatively cheap. I used to park there but haven't been there in about a year. If someone knows the specifics, please chime in. It's just north of where the CBS buildings are on W. 57th.

But the truth is if you give yourself some time you can find a high garage or a lot. Having said that I lived up at 78th St. and York on the upper east side and had a hard time finding a garage that would take vans. So in my experience the the upper east side is a difficult place to park a bus.

Yes street parking is an option. But if you have equiptment and gear in the bus I'd be a little hesitant about street parking in NYC. But then again it depends on what part of town you'll be in.

Oh, a second thought. We used to park vans at the lot between 46th and 47th streets between broadway and 8th avenues. The attendant parks the van there though, no self parking.

My fear was that if I didn't park it myself the valet wouldn't respect the finesse my transmission needs to keep quiet. But from my memory most garages in NYC have their height maximums well marked. Some will clearly say "no vans".

I also agree with the NJ idea. Depending on where you're camping catch the train in Madison or Denville or Summit or where ever is convienient. Catch the Lakeland bus in Sparta or Dover or Denville or Parsippany or Whippany. Both viable ways to get in NYC and leave your bus out of harms way.

that's my 2 cents. Jeff LA,CA