Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Oct 2001 22:08:13 -0400
From:         Maynard Southard <echomhs@GIS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diesel?
Comments: cc: "joetruss@HOTMAIL.COM" <joetruss@HOTMAIL.COM>

Joe: Diesel Vanagons are strange beasts. I have developed quite an affection for them (I'm working on #3 now.) They are terribly underpowered, but a patient person can deal with that. They are loud, not so much because of the diesel engine, but because of the high RPM at highway speed. Around town they are just fine. They get excellent fuel economy (25-30mpg) for such a large vehicle, and they have all the cargo versatility of gas Vanagons. The diesel engine and parts are readily available from used and new sources. There is plenty of room in the engine bay - no real accessibility problems.

Emotion IS important to this decision! You must love your Diesel Vanagon to get the most from it. You must relish the clatter from the engine bay. You must smile contentedly when you pull up to the diesel pumps next to the big rigs, especially when someone comes running up to you to tell you that you have made a mistake and that the GAS pumps are over on the other side. You must talk to your baby, encouraging it as you slowly climb a moderate hill together and then coast down the other side, perhaps hitting the 65 mph mark on the down-slope.

Common sense will talk you out of this vehicle. But then, common sense will talk you out of many of the joys in your life. Listen to your emotions. Don't buy it if it doesn't fit you and your style. Don't buy it if you want power. Don't buy it if you are in a hurry and the slow lane bugs you. Don't buy it if you like to just drop your vehicle off at the Tune-Up Tech or the Ji**y Lube and pick it up after lunch.

Sorry if I've gone over the edge here. As you can probably tell, emotion is a good part of my reason for having my Diesel Vanagons (or perhaps it is my excuse). To each his own. Good luck in any case.

Maynard Southard (OvO) '79 '82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt" '82 Vanagon GL Diesel '93 EV GL "Klinger" '00 Golf GLS TDI "WooHoo" '84 Jetta GL TD "Donor"

On Thursday, October 04, 2001 2:29 PM, joseph Trussell <joetruss@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > Anyway, I have a question--I went and looked at an '84 non-Westy Diesel > Vanagon yesterday. The body is kinda dinged up and it needs a paint job, > the interior's trashed (rips, tears, stains galore) but the diesel motor > was just freshly rebuilt and looks fantastic and runs smoothly. The glass > is good, good CV joints, good exhaust, okay shocks. It needs tires and some > serious TLC, but everything mechanically looks solid. The guy is asking > $1400 for it. Because I have absolutely no experience with the diesel, I'm > wondering if this is a good price? Are there any specific things I should > be looking for in regards to the diesel? Is the performance dropoff really > significant? > > I kinda like this van, and I can see myself driving it, which leads me to > believe that if I'm left to my own advice, I'll make a decision based upon > emotion and not common sense. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks > in advance! > > > Joe T. > '85 Scirocco Wolfsburg (Still no Vanagon, but enjoying the list anyway!)