Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Sep 2001 21:47:04 -0700
From:         Mike Williams <westyvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      A Boy and his Van...(A Boston Yankee in the Valley of the Sun)
              [Episode 1: a X-Country tale]

Well...I swear there was a river here last year...oh well...not important...

So...I've gotten a few requests from list members to post my adventures in life in my Vanagon. For those of you who want to hear the stories of my travels, I will attempt to post every Monday so the weekend happenings are still nice and fresh in my mind.

First off...for those of you who don't know me...I'm Mike [new list member]...and my vanagon is "Bad Larry" [Bad Larry is a name my friend Ben came up with unintentionally] p.s. Larry is an 84 Vanagon AguaAli Westfalia [tan w/brown interior]. I'm 19 years old and I live in my Vanagon in the Phoenix area of Arizona. I decided to live in my Van for reasons that i'm sure a few of you at least can relate to...peace and quiet (when I want it)...simplicity...the ability to go wherever, whenever, and do whatever [ya know?]...and it's just plain ol' fun to tell you the truth.

So...here is the first episode of many (hopefully)...it is more of an introduction than anything...I hope you enjoy! Feel free to send me any of your stories also...I've started writing a book already about my travels...so pretty much everything you read is going toward that...and you got to read it first...LUCKY YOU!

I'm originally from Boston, Taxachusetts...and I moved out here about a year ago. I went back to Mass this summer because I heard one of my good friends was selling his Vanagon. So...I hitched a ride to Mass...picked up the Van...made a few adjustments and was ready to be on my way back to saguaro cacti, tumbleweeds, mormons (no offense to anyone...unless of course, you wish to be offended) and temperatures exceeding the 115 degree mark...yeah...it's a lot of fun allright.

About 7am...I woke up in my van in my friends driveway in the small town of Spencer, Massachusetts to the sound of a rumbling Harley Davidson taking off down the street [my friend Bens step dad Otis has a sweet shovelhead...but anyway]... condensation covering the windows...the crisp feeling of a summer morning in the air...a good day for fishing. So I put some boxers on...and got the stove ready to make me some coffee and I opened the sliding door, still pie eyed...and yelled out "good morning vietnam" to Bens mom in her kitchen window. I finished preparing my cup of coffee...got dressed...said my goodbyes...and I was on my way. I drove through the center of that small New England town I never quite understood until I was no longer there. I stop by to see my mom one last time...gave her a kiss on the cheek and waved goodbye.

I first drove down rt 9 in Spencer...and then I took rt. 49 to Sturbridge, Mass where I could pick up I-84 to Hartford. It was an amazing morning to drive...I threw in some Allman Brothers Band ["southbound" for the occasion] and sipped my coffee randomly, thinking about what this x-country trip had in store for me. (By the way...I had done a x-country trip a year before in my 86 Ford Ranger...so I wasn't totally new to the whole "breakdown lane" mechanic philosophy. I should probably also mention that I had to do this particular trip in 4 days...my classes started on Monday at school...and as I mentioned it was now Thursday). So...I picked up I-84...and drove down through Hartford...into New York City, not knowing the skyline would never be the same again :( No problems so far at all...smooth sailing. Down through Pennsylvania... going good...time for a fillup! So...I pull off the highway and what do I see...that's right...an 85 Vanagon Westfalia...JUST LIKE MINE at the gas station I was about to pull into. So...being weird (aren't all of us vananuts a little twisted)...I pull Bad Larry up right behind the other westy and gave a big smile to the old guy (no offense to old people either...hehe) filling up the tank...and I got out (forgetting my key of course)...and started shootin the BS about vans for a few. Turns out he's from FL...list member maybe? Beats me...but...I did get a picture of our vans side by side at the gas pumps...I'll share it when I get it developed. So...I finished up there...grabbed some ice for my ice box/non-operational refridgerator (I couldn't figure out how to work the damn thing yet)...and hit the road once again.

Now the going got tough! No one told me the state moddo for West Virginia is "the mountain state"...well...I guess you could imagine that I found out pretty quickly on my own. Up...and Down...and Up...and Down...damn Vanagon must be bomb-proof too...all these mountains and still no problems...sweet! Down I-81 with no problems at all.

Oh...Tenessee...why must thou always giveth me problems! Ok...so just as I'm about in Nashville...I hear a scraping noise...getting louder by the second. I pull over quickly and see my exaust has a gargantuan hole in it, and is hanging by a thread. So...quick fix...gotta keep movin...I climb into the van and grab a coat hanger...bend it up with my trusty leatherman tool...and hang the muffler from the frame. By the way...while I was wrenching on the van...a VW Thing drove by and beep beeped...she felt my pain i'm sure. So...I keep driving...and about twenty miles more...it is now dark...and i just hear my engine get really loud all of a sudden...and i look back just in time to see my catylatic converter along with my muffler getting crushed by a semi...&$%*$&$!!!!!!!!

So...stressed out...I just keep driving. At this point I hadn't much of a clue about how an engine worked and I had no idea I could have burnt my exaust valves.

So the next morning I'm in arkansas...and I pull into a NAPA and ask if there is anything i can do to stop that damn racket...no such luck. when we looked over the exaust, I realized the header off cylinder #3 blew completely off (North Eastern Rust luckily only touched the exaust and few other small places). So...as the NAPA employee assured me that I would never get pulled over in Arkansas for not having a muffler...I kept driving...losing my hearing slightly with every mile driven. I still can't believe I drove like this for so long. All the way through Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and into Arizona.

The rest of my trip was pretty uneventful...and I'll tell you all the truth that I don't remember much of it due to the insane amount of coffee I drank to get to AZ in time on Sunday for my classes to start. However, I did see the western hemispheres biggest cross (near Amarillo, TX)...and I stood on a corner in Winslow, Arizona...such a fine sight to see. It's a Winslow police officer telling me that I better get lost before he takes me to jail...people just don't trust kids in VW Vans I guess...I don't see why though ;)

So...that was my trip...and now I'm here...wonderful Mesa Arizona...city of the second largest mormon population in the world...not a good place to live in a van...many more stories to come.

Ok...my school library is closing...so I must be on my way...I hope you enjoyed your flight...be sure to tip your waitress...I'll be here a lot longer than you want me to be I'm sure...Later Volks!

Mike Mesa, AZ / Worcester, MA 84 Westy "Bad Larry"