Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Oct 2001 07:45:04 -0400
From:         Kevin Hayden <sevenkevin@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Still Leaking Losta Oil..... HELP!!!!

Hello to you all again !

It has been 3 months so far and I am on my second mechanic. This time I bought both the Bentley and Haynes manuals for support. He removed my 1.9 engine from my '85 vanagon and did the following;

Removed flywheel and cleaned it with crocus cloth Installed new pilot bushing, 3 new shims as per Bentley manual { .0002 } ,New o ring, felt washer, and new rear main seal.

He ran it for an hour and a half at idle and it ran fine with no leaks. HOWEVER...after driving it for 2 short blocks, the oil began to leak out of the bottom of the bellhousing at a rapid pace!

When he turned the engine off, it seemed to even come out faster! Is it possible for this type of motor to build up high pressure to blow oil past or damage the seal?

This engine only has 25 miles on it since it was installed.It has new bearings,rings,and gaskets according to the guy I got it from. When I drove it the first 10 miles, it was down a half a quart of oil. After returning back home, it lost about a quart a minute !!

I live in northeastern Pa. Anybody with a complete used 1.9 motor for sale or advice?? I'm going broke! Thanks in advance! Kevin