Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Oct 2001 23:35:25 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Installing Propane Heater / Adding extra propane capacity
Comments: To: Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>

I don't know exactly which quick disconnects you are looking at but most are designed for the high pressure side of a propane system and will not work properly on the down stream side. I would be hesitant to use such devices inside the van as this can be very dangerous. Propane has an extremely wide flammability range. Most any mixture of air and propane can ignite. It is also heavy so it will collect in low areas. If you must do this, also get a 12v propane or flammable gas detector. These are available at any RV supply.

Dennis

I finally managed to acquire a PlatCat vented catalytic heater for my Westfalia from Arnie.

http://www.omnicast.net/arnie/

One of my concerns is that it is rather large, and I would like to find a way to mount it so it is easily removable. The best location, IMO, is right behind the passenger seat, like Harold and Nancy have done.

http://www.geocities.com/harald_nancy/

The electrical should be no problem, and I can think of a couple of methods of building a quick disconnect for the vent, but the propane has me puzzled. It comes with a standard 3/8" flare fitting that can be run out the bottom or rear.

What I'm wondering is how reliable the quick connect couplings are for propane. They work like the ones on compressed air lines, just pull back the outer sleeve, and the two lines pop apart.

One brand I looked at said it was for outdoor use only, the other didn't. If they leak a bit, I don't want to be sleeping next to one! If any of you have worked with propane systems, I would love to hear what you think. Having to turn a wrench a couple of times a year is probably no big deal.

On another front, I'm wondering about options for adding to the amount of propane I can carry. The unit burns 1/4 lb per hour, so a fall camping trip could use up the on-board supply in a few days.

One option would be to purchase an additional propane tank and hang it below the passenger side. If anyone has one to sell, let me know! The Bus Depot has them for $220 new, regulator not included.

Another would be to add an Extend-a-Stay connector to the propane system that allows you to attach a standard propane tank. It would be quite a bit cheaper, but I would have to carry a propane tank inside when I need the extra capacity.

Any advice gratefully accepted!

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, ID mike_l_f@hotmail.com