Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:15:57 -0400
From:         Todd Guttman <tguttman@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1978,
              Netscape and the Internet   Was: any flux capacitor conversions
              available?

I'm sure that some other listmembers remember the ol' days in the late 70's when the embryonic Internet did, in fact, exist - the ARPAnet linked defense-funded institutions. While in grad school in 1979, I recall playing a great Star-Trek style game (written, I believe in Basic) with other players at the University of Chicago, CWRU, and MIT. The screen images were basic " *, ^, # " characters and it would sometimes take literally hours to send and receive moves. Relatively few knew about the "net" and even fewer used it at that time for anything other than 'approved' research.

In late 1978 or early 1979, as I recall, the Computerized Bulletin Board System (CBBS) protocols went online and people started sending messages via sysops to public "boards" and others responded creating precursors of the virtual discussions we're having now.

Todd

85 Westy 'Rivendel' Columbus, OH

----- Original Message ----- From: Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2001 11:29 PM Subject: Re: any flux capacitor conversions available?