Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Oct 2001 15:30:50 -0600
From:         Damian Shaw <dts@XMISSION.COM>
Subject:      TIICO. Exhaust solved, now timing.

David Marshall basically had this one:

There are timing marks on your TIICO pulley and timing belt cover - they correspond to zero degrees BTDC. On mine they were very hard to find - I think the pulley mark is actually on the outer crank pulley. I marked both marks with some white paint and strongly suggest you do the same.

Then you're supposed to run the engine at 1200 RPMs or so and use your timing light to get it to the correct timing. The motronic system has a 'test' mode that you can put it into if you have a tool that interfaces with the van's computer (VAG-COM laptop software is what I used). In this test mode the computer will hold the RPMs up for you making life a lot easier - then you just set the timing like David said by turning the distributor. I don't know why this Motronic doesn't do this for you but it doesn't. I suggest getting the VAG-COM system, it can also set up your throttle body's basic setting which you need to make the van at all drivable. Failing that have a shop set things up. If you buy your own tool like VAG-COM you still can't set the basic CO mixture so going to a shop isn't a bad option.

Good luck,

Damia