Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:25:00 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pump help
Comments: cc: strgazr1@excite.com

Help me out guys, Gary VanWeerd strgazr1@excite.com is having some problems after I sold him a used fuel pump. In defense: the pump works good, tested it ten minutes before I shipped it. I think Gary has some other problems and I've tried to guide him through but I may have left something out. To read the series of communications, start at the bottom of the page. Please respond directly with him, I'm not sure he's on the list.

Stan Wilder

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:00:16 -0500 Stan Wilder <wilden1@juno.com writes: #1. Double check that you have the brown wire plugged to the - (negative side) of the pump #2. Check your fuses (could have blown one while testing the system). #3. PIA but take two connectors loose from your Double Relay, one pair black or chrome boxes at upper left of you engine bay. Relpug them. Take special note of the ground wire, it hangs loose from the bundle on the left. Be sure it is grounded properly. The white jumper wire on mine was shorted from being squeezed under the relay and caused a mal-function so take a good look at all of your engine bay connections. #4. The pump should not run *ever without the engine running*, AFM turns it off when the engine looses vacuum (safety factor). The pump gets momentary power when the engine is cranked and then the AFM picks the control up. See if both push on connector wires are connected to your starter. Some starter have two terminals other only one but check it bu un plugging it and re plugging it. #5. I'm guilty of this one, be sure your AFM is plugged into the wiring harness, I always forget after installing a new air filter. I tested the pump before I shipped it so I know it pumps like crazy. Was this van running when you got it (it it was bought recently)? You have an electrical problem that I can't diagnose from this great distance. I think you do need to test both your old pump and the new pump by putting a 2 feet piece of hose on each end and running them out of the vehicle. Just put the big hose in a can of gas and the little hose in an empty can. (you can leave the filter on and plug the line from your tank with a bolt). I'll be glad to hel;p where I can after you've done the check list above.

Stan

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:43:03 -0700 (PDT) Gary VanWeerd <strgazr1@excite.com writes: I think i'm doing somthing wrong here. I'm not getting any fuel out of the pump. I've got a good stream comming out of the tank and through

the NEW fuel filter. but nothing is comming OUT of it. I've got power going into it. I've checked with my owm meter. I get power when i touch + & - together and someone cranks the motor but i don't when i disconect the ground and and use the meter in between the - and the fram. I'm at a lose Any advise? GARY