Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:47:35 -0400
From:         Maynard Southard <echomhs@GIS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diesel engine coolant issues and questions
Comments: cc: "billn@BILLN.COM" <billn@BILLN.COM>

On Wednesday, October 10, 2001 6:36 PM, Bill Nienhuis <billn@BILLN.COM> wrote: > 1. About 2 months ago, I took my 1982 Diesel Vanagon in to a VW = > authorized dealership for a standard oil change/lube. When I got the van = > back, I noticed that my temperature gauge wasn't moving at all. I mean = > the indicator doesn't budge a bit. It usually comes up a few notches = > after running for awhile. What could be the cause of this? Did the = > dealership not hook something up? What should I look for?

Could be they disconnected the wire from the engine temperature sensor. The sensor is located on the flange that takes coolant from the head to the heater core. If you consider the "front" of the engine to be the same orientation as the "front" of the van, then the flange is located on the head on the front of the engine (just opposite the firewall). There is a Blue wire with a yellow stripe on it that connects to this sensor. Check this connection and the wire. If disconnected, slide it on to the sensor and then check to see if the gauge works. If not, then remove the wire from the sensor and ground it on a nice shiny metal spot (engine or screw head). The gauge should peg, if not, then there is a problem in the wire or the gauge.

> 2. A day or so ago, the larger of the 2 coolant tanks [not the one = > behind the license plate] split its seam and started spurting liquid out = > all over the place. Not good. I've looked on busdepot.com for a = > replacement tank, but have noticed that there are a few listed there and = > they range in price from $30 to $90. I don't know which one to purchase. = > Are there a number of choices for replacement tanks or should I look for = > a specific part number?

I believe the correct part number for the '82 Vanagon Diesel is 068 121 405B. There is a different part for the '83 Diesel and I believe all the other VW diesels use various other tanks. I got the 068 121 405B from Ken Wilford at http://www.vanagain.com. However, these things are hard to come by. You may be able to cobble up something, but other tanks require that you fabricate a mounting bracket and/or splice in hoses of different diameter.

> 3. How easy is it to replace one of these tanks? Should I do anything = > else in addition to replacing it?

Replacing the tank with the correct replacement is easy - just unscrewing a few hose clamps, lifting tank out of the bracket and then reconnecting. If you cobble another solution, things get a little more creative.

However, at least look around to see what may have caused the blow-out. You may want to change out the pressure cap at the same time.

Maynard Southard (OvO) '79 '82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt" '82 Vanagon GL Diesel '93 EV GL "Klinger" '00 Golf GLS TDI "WooHoo" '84 Jetta GL TD "Donor"