Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:14:23 -0700
From:         mike miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: exhaust leak and leaking heads??
Comments: To: Jenny Loerzel <jensmiles2@hotmail.com>

Just finishing up changing the 2-4 exhaust header [the rear ones]. If he's going to pull the whole thing he sounds about right for a pro,3 hours. The studs breaking off are another problem and can, indeed, take a long time to repair.

This can be avoided, or at least the risk lessened. I sprayed liquid wrench on the bolts on mine and rusted as they were they all came out without a problem. There are a bunch of bolts to spray but if you get several cans of spray and hit every bolt and nut anywhere near the exhaust system it'll help. The important ones, as he said, are the bolts/studs into the head. There are four front and I assume 4 rear. To get them you have to spray from the top and from the bottom. Use a flashlight to see as much as you can. Don't just do it once but many times. I did mine for a week and a half. I don't think you can do too much.

I'll post this to the list as well and the list gurus can check me on it.

There's an alternative to putting back on the original exhaust. I think the list suppliers charge about 300-350 dollars for that. But there's a stainless steel version which is ceramic coated for about $550. If you're going to keep the van for a long time that's the way to go, I think.

YMMV

good luck,

Mike