Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:20:17 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      FS: Paulchen Economy Class Bike Kit

I have a new Paulchen Economy Class Bike mounting kit for sale...

This is not the rack itself. With Paulchen you buy the rack and choose which attachment kit(s) you want depending on what you want to carry on the rack.

The Economy Class Bike Kit will attach two bikes to the Paulchen rack. It uses V-Channels and straps to secure the tires (the channels are similar to those used by Yakima and Thule). And it uses a couple of bars and straps to secure the top tube of the bike to the rack.

The First Class Kit is nicer in that the top tube clamps lock the bike to the rack. However, it seems to me that the V-Channel system provided with the Economy Class Kit for mounting the tires will work better with skinny tires than the 'trombone' tire mounts provided with the First Class Kit (and equally as well for fat tired bikes). If you already have the First Class Kit you could use the V-Channels in stead of the 'trombones' for skinny tired bikes. Also, in some cases it is possible that the Economy Class Kit would work better to secure bikes that are made with fat tubing (the tubing clamps provided with the First Class Kit will not open large enough for the larger tubing sizes used on many of the mountain bikes).

Economy Class Kit Price: $100.00, plus shipping. (the First Class Kit sells for about $275.00, plus shipping.... see www.eurocampers.com )

[A Paulchen rack with 2 Bike First Class Kit costs about $535 plus shipping. You could buy the base rack only for about $250 (with list discount from Steve Lashley at www.eurocampers.com) and my Economy Class Kit for $100 and have a Paulchen rack for $350 instead of $535]

If you are interested, let me know and I can email photos.

Thanks,

Bill Davidson