Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:48:45 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Platinum Cat Heater

Chris -

Do you really mean a Platinum Cat? It's vented, so there is no worry about CO and hooks to the van's propane system so it doesn't need extra bottles of fuel

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy (looking for a used propane tank) Moscow, Idaho

At 08:32 AM 10/11/01 -0700, Charles McGehee wrote: >That's good info, Frank. Thanks. So you sleep with it on, huh? I'm >skeptical about the safety of any unvented gas-fired heaters in closed >spaces -- CO, you know -- but you're still kickin', I guess. The proof >of the pudding .. .

I sleep, eat, party, entertain (that's what us older folks called "partying" back then), make love, and just live with a platcat running in the TURD whenever the temp is below 50. the trick is to keep the top up until the temp drops below 35, then I lower the top until I can just raise my 5'8" height in the van. The little bit of canvas helps keep the CO to a livable level, but then since I used to live in Chicago in the summer the CO level in the westy is lower than it was on Lincoln Ave. I also has a CO detector next to the lower bunk. Either it's broke and I'm really dead, or the levels never get to a danger point with the top slightly open.

One lost weekend 5 bottles of propane Lows in the 20s all equals a heck of a good time with the right heater.

Mike Finkbiner mike_l_f@hotmail.com