Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:45:04 -0400
From:         "Spooner, Robert E." <bob.spooner@MIDDLETOWNPOWER.COM>
Subject:      Deer Strike

Hey all, Had the displeasure of whacking a deer on the way to work this morning. Almost missed her, she came from right to left and I just clipped her hind quarter with my left front corner. Didn't kill her, though, she was able to continue to run off through the woods...no venison tonight for me.

Anyway, the strike wiped out the front-left turn signal, pushing is backwards through the body work. It kind of looks like a basketball hit the corner of the van real hard, except for all of the hair stuck to the van. The hit is above the bumper, doing no damage to that, and outboard of the headlights and upper grill, doing no damage there either. the van still drives straight, so I suspect that there is no alignment issues. Not too bad, considering what could of happened if I was a split second faster, and took the deer smack in the front.

My insurance company is sending me to a body shop for an estimate. Is there anything in particular I should point out to these fellas? Can a corner piece be purchased for a replacement, or is this a hammer and fill job?

Thanks for any input.

Bob Spooner Environmental Engineer Middletown Generating Station Middletown, CT