Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:45:23 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@UBC.CA>
Subject:      Fixed!: How the heck to prime oil pump? (Vanagon D)

Hi all,

Some of you many remember me pulling my hair out over the oil pump in my 1.6L diesel Vanagon initially having, but then permanently losing, the ability to establish prime. Well, it appears I have resolved the problem.

For a full description of the history behind the problem, my efforts to fix it, and quite a few pictures of the pump, my fix, and the badly worn #3 rod bearings that precipitated the whole thing, please go to:

http://www.sfu.ca/~tcopley/vw/ and click on the "oil pump" link at the top.

The oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump pickup tube was indeed stuck in its bore. Thanks to the many vanagon list members who provided feedback on the pictures and commentary posted here, and for their helpful feedback and suggestions.

Very special thanks are due to Bob Donalds of Boston Engine ("Boston Bob") for his extraordinary help and invaluable advice. Bob contacted me following my initial post about the "no prime" problem, and asked me to phone him so we could talk about it. He provided excellent feedback, and personally spent over 25 minutes on the phone with me--free of charge! What a guy! So thanks, Bob!

The oil pressure relief valve was indeed stuck partly open, with the result being that the oil pump was sucking air instead of oil. I'm very glad I tested the engine's lubrication system by spinning the oil pump shaft with an electric drill first. Starting an engine with such a serious problem would have almost certainly quickly led to engine damage.

Following Boston Bob's suggestion, I dremelled out the metal holding the oil pressure relief valve's cap in place, then removed the cap and spring. The piston proved to be very difficult to remove from the bore, as it was very soundly seized in place by grit and the remains of my toasted bearings (see my web page for gory wasted bearing pics). A coat hanger and various pokey and prying tools were used to force the piston out of the bore. This was quite difficult to do, since I had to be careful not to mangle the soft aluminum body of the pickup tube itself when doing this.

With the oil pressure relief valve disassembled, I cleaned up the piston with OO steel wool. I used a chainsaw file to remove the worst of the burrs and nicks from the cylinder bore, then did a sloppy very jury-rigged honing job on it using a chopstick and more OO steel wool. And a lot of time.

It turns out I had removed far too much material from the pickup tube body with the dremel, leaving me with too little metal on the body left to stake the oil pressure relief valve's cap back in place. Ooops. Improvising, I drilled a 1/16" hole through each side of the oil pickup tube body, with the hole passing through the cap as well. Through these holes I fit a small cotter pin, thus holding the cap in place against the oil pressure relief valve spring tension.

The correct method of dealing with this problem is, of course to buy a new oil pickup tube. But I didn't have the funds to do this, and I was treating the whole exercise as an educational experience anyway. I'm leaning towards removing the diesel power plant and installing an I-4 gasoline powered engine, and if I go this route I'd spring for a new oil pump and pickup tube. I wish I had the coin to do a TDI conversion, but that's just not going to happen.

I was expecting hear serious rod knock once I got the engine started up, but with 20 minutes or so of idling and revving for warmup (to permit changing the oil out), I didn't hear anything unusual. The normal diesel valve train clatter may have been drowning rod knock out, but I doubt it. Maybe I'll hear it when I actually try driving it and load the drive train a bit--we'll see. Before I do that, though, I'll be installing a oil pressure sender and gauge, and I'll need a new battery. So I won't know until spring when I take "Stinky" out of winter mothballs.

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback and help in trying to solve my oil pump priming problem!

T. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada 49deg 23'N-123deg 19'W

'82 Westfalia 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |_L| |__|:| clatter SPEED KILLS! {. .| clatter! Drive a Vanagon diesel ~-()-==----()-~