Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Oct 2001 17:56:04 -0700
From:         Wayne Hagan <waynehagan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Deer Syncro direct hit

Hi all, I'm new to the list but not to deer and van encounters. Last summer my wife and I were touring around the southwest in our '91 syncro Westy (72K) and hit one. I was taking a break from driving, just south of the Grand Canyon on our way to Flagstaff, when my wife out of the blue explained that she just had a feeling that we were going to hit a deer and she was going to more cautious (she never has premonitions). I didn't take much stock in this seeing as it was still well before sundown and we were in an open grassland area where it would be easy to spot one coming, (but hey nothing wrong being more cautious when she's behind the wheel of my baby!). Later on that evening, after forgetting about the dreaded deer premonition, I was reading a book in the passenger seat when I was jolted by a scream by my wife and the view of a deer rolling in mid air right in front of our van. At this point I was mostly concerned that my wife might try some maneuvers to get out of the way and cause us to lose control, we were doing about 60 mph, I told her to just keep going strait right over it, which she did, all four wheels like a giant speed bump. Needless to say, my wife was a wreck, we both were pretty shaken with the shock of it. The front of the van was smashed mostly on the drivers side. the bumper was cracked in half, about $300.00 in driving and fogs were trashed, both plastic grills were bashed in,the radiator was leaking, and the air conditioning condensor was damaged, the underside had a little hair but it is protected by the skid pan and spare. No sighn of the deer, but we travelled quit a way from the impact spot. I tried to drive it by adding water as needed but the leak got worse and we pulled over in an abandoned rest stop and called for a flat bed. When I got out of the van it was dark and I saw one of those exploding meteors in the sky and simultaneously a whole coarus of coyotes started barking, (fresh meat) oh, and did I mention that this all occured in an area of an active forest fire, there was smoke blowing through and most of the forest was allready burned. Rather strange night, the locals said we were near a big vortex, ... whatever, while waiting the two hours for the flat bed to show up we had a fire fighting supply truck stop by asking for directions to the fire. In flagstaff we had friends to stay with while Burke of Burkes AutoHause did a great job of getting us functional enough to get us back to our home in Bellingham Washington. To make a long story longer, I must say, that at that speed if we were in a car we would have been wearing deer and glass in our faces, this doe came on with no warning, as usual, full speed out of the forest, my wife never had a chance to hit the breaks. The commbination of height, a 5500 pound vehicle, and the skid pan I think was in our favor. We were lucky we didn't meet up with an elk. Somewere on the net there is a place were you can see a head on crash test movie with a T3, they survive pretty well, not what I expected, big floor beams to the bumper and substatial cross beams in the later models. The van is now back to normal but I must say I like the look of some Auzzy Bully Bars I saw the web the other day! Now I wish the wifey would have premonitions about the lottery.