Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Oct 2001 13:00:34 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auxillary Solenoid going Bad?
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>

Max Wellhouse wrote:

> Listees: I'm having trouble with occasional(at this point) malfunction of > my auxillary solenoid kit I installed like 4 years ago. > > 1. Since I shot aluminum pop rivets to a frame bracket above the starter to > mount the solenoid, does the solenoid rely on this mounting for ground? The > rivets have worked a little loose and the unit wobbles. > > 2. Anybody had one of the aftermarket solenoids wear out? > > I bought a spare, but would like to wait on the wisdom of the list first. > > Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel

All 4 relays that I have installed in vanagons and buses have been placed under the back seat out of the weather. Some types of relays need to have the case securely grounded, some do not. I don't know about the relay kits sold by list vendors, since I have always improvised with parts from Radio Shack, etc. Having said all that, you should be aware that if the brushes and commutator in the starter are bad enough a relay won't solve the problem because the ground path for the main solenoid is thru the starter. In this case you can have the starter "rebuilt".

Larry A.