Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Oct 2001 15:31:40 -0700
From:         Hector Zapata <hector.zapata@XRXGSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine power loss

Idamagedmine some time ago, but didn't know until I removed the tail light to clean the idle stabilizer control that I saw what i had done. So I removed that crap from there and went to Pep Boys and bought a flexible wire reinforced air intake hose, and took care of that. My fault, though.

Hector ----- Original Message ----- From: Frank Condelli To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2001 3:50 AM Subject: Engine power loss

Well, just when you thought you knew everything there was to know about these Vanagons, something new crops up. I've been on this List since its beginnings, work on them for a living, and yesterday came across something I've never seen talked about here before nor have I come across it in my shop. For the last month or so my '87 Westy seemed to be loosing power. It would not achieve more than 120 km/hr on a flat road and acceleration was not what it had been. With over 350,000 km on its original engine I began thinking thoughts of Tiico swap. Did a compression test, fuel pump test, air flow meter test and all seemed normal. The engine starts up just fine and idles perfectly. When revved up standing still it seemed fine. So yesterday I start looking again for something. Thought maybe the CAT was blocked somehow but that was hard to imagine as the guts of the CAT have been ! removed a long time ago. Some small fire proof rodent got in there ? The exhaust seemed fine so what the hell goes on here ? So, while revving up the engine from the engine compartment yesterday, all of a sudden I notice that the rubber boot between the throttle valve and the air filter housing is collapsing when revving up the engine. Humm, not getting air, but I just checked the air filter and it was fine. Sooooooo........I start following the air intake track to the outside. Well, friends, that really well German engineered PAPER and wire flex ducting that goes up inside the right rear quarter of our vans to allow air to be sucked into the engine had deteriorated to the point it had collapsed and had now blocked solid the air intake track ! Engine was trying to suck in what was left of this fine piece of PAPER flex ducting. Ripped it all out of there which was a major PITA as you gotta remove the right tail lamp assembly, a! nd the cheapo plastic firewall that has the air intake passing through it. Then rip out the plastic tube which connects to this crapo paper flex tube. After I got that all outa there I went for a spin over to the local Home Hardware to look for some quality ducting that maybe could be used to "upgrade" this genuine VW piece of crap. Now the Westy's running like she used to. Plenty if power, well not plenty but you know, like it used to be anyways. So, at the hardware I find some 4" diameter aluminium flex ducting for home use or in my case automotive use. Take this home and spend the next hour getting it squashed oval so it will get on up inside the wall of the van and connect to the plastic intake piece located behind that black plastic grill thingy on the right rear outside of the van. Bet you didn't know that was in there ! Ha ! Never over 'till it over ! Something new everyday. Vanagons provide a lifetime learning experience. Now what other vehicle can give you this ki! nd of enjoyment ? A Fiat perhaps ?

Peace

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada BusFusion a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, May 30, 31, June 1, 2, 2002 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers Frank Condelli & Associates or http://frankcondelli.com

[text/html]