Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Oct 2001 20:40:41 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Different clutch kits
Comments: To: patrick paul clerkin <clerkin@STUDENTS.UIUC.EDU>

> I need to replace my clutch and I noticed that Bus Depot has two > different kits. One is the stock Sachs kit and the other is a premium LUK > kit. I was wondering if the LUK was worth the extra $70 and if anyone > knew what was better about it?

Actually, I carry not two, but THREE different Vanagon clutch kits.

The "entry-level" one, at around $114 with listmember discount, is the basic Sachs kit, same as sold pretty much everywhere else under the sun. This is what the vast majority of Vanagons have on them now, and is what I have on my own Westy. There have been some claims on this List in the past that the Sachs kit can be prone to "clutch chatter." In many cases, the cause turned out to be unrelated, such as worn motor mounts, a flywheel that was not resurfaced, etc. I have had not one iota of trouble with the Sachs kit on my own '89 Westy. On the other hand, I had the identical kit in my '85 Vanagon a few ears earlier and it did chatter. Worn mounts? Uneven flywheel? Hot spot on the disk? Who knows. Personally I'm not convinced that the Sachs kits have any real problem with clutch chatter that couldn't be explained some other way, but some would disagree. Maybe for some odd reason they're more susceptable to it, who knows. Which is why I started carrying the LuK kits. If you want to blame the Sachs kits as being more "chatter susceptable," or just "don't want to chance it," buy the LuK.

The "middle" kit is the stock LuK kit, at $143 with discount. This is LuK's competition to the Sachs kit. (For any who are unaware, both Sachs and LuK are OE suppliers to VW, so they both have equal legitimacy, although Sachs has a better-known aftermarket name here in the US.) I have not yet heard any reports of clutch chatter with the LuK kits at all. (Of course there is a far smaller installed user base of them, so it would follow that there would be vastly fewer complaints anyway.) Certainly there is no downside to the LuK kit as compared to the Sachs. So, best case, you get a more reliable kit, and worst case, you wasted the extra $29. Not a lot of money considering the cost/hassle of the clutch job as a whole.

The "high-end" kit is the heavy-duty LuK kit, which is $190 with discount. This kit has been erroneously referred to on the List as a "Syncro only" clutch kit. In reality, it is the kit that VW switched to in mid 1989 (and used thru the end of Vanagon production in 1991) on both 2WD and Syncro models. Neither LuK nor Sachs sell this kit in the U.S. anymore; instead they now "supercede" it to the earlier version (the two kits above). So I have to import this one directly from LuK in Germany. As I understand it, the main improvements in the later style were a slightly stronger center hub area, and a slight redesign that reduced the required travel of the clutch pedal. This may be a nice benefit, as I must admit that I am guilty of sometimes failing to push the pedal all the way to the floor when shifting; it does have quite a bit of travel with the original design.

As I said, I have the Sachs kit in my Vanagon and have not had a problem with it. That said, if I were going to do it again, I'd buy the $190 kit. (At the time I installed mine, I did not yet have the LuK kits available, so there was no choice.)

Why? Well, a clutch job is a major pain-in-the-ass that I don't want to go through often. My line of thinking is that considering the small difference in price (about $75 between the cheapest and best options), weighed against the cost of having to do the job again prematurely (or worse yet, losing my clutch 300 miles from home), it's just money well spent. Replacing a part that takes half an hour to replace (and won't be dangerous if it fails)? Might as well try using the cheapest part because you have little to lose Replacing a part that will take half a day to replace again if it fails, and might even leave you stranded? Not worth cutting corners on that one. With any big repair I think it's just good insurance to use the best quality parts possible. At the absolute minimum I'd go the middle ground and get the $143 kit.

But as I said, the vast majority of Vanagons have the cheaper Sachs kits (since almost nobody but me sells the LuK ones) and they work just fine. And of course there's no saying that if you put in the most expensive part, you still won't be the one in 1000 who gets a bad one. So in the end, as always, it's your money and your decision.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders Only: 1-866-BUS-DEPOT