Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Oct 2001 19:20:55 -0400
From:         Kenneth D Lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV - Will it fit?
Comments: To: bjmercer@SYMPATICO.CA

Barry; If you pounded directly on the end of the shaft sticking out of the CV joint you are doomed! The end will mushroom out and will be nearly impossible to remove.

Good Luck and Drive Safely Ken Lewis 86 Crewcab,60 356 http://Neksiwel.20m.com/

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:40:50 -0400 Barry Mercer <bjmercer@SYMPATICO.CA> writes: > Hey All... Thanks for all the suggestions... I have not crawled > under > the van yet this morning, I thought I'd spend the morning cleaning > and > re-greasing. (is that a word) > > I have 1 of the half shafts out and decided to clean it before I > have at > the stripped bolts. > > Just to let you know, the passenger outer boot was in terrible > terrible > shape. I'm embarrassed that I never caught it before this. The end > of > the boot was ripped open and the joins was soaked. But it was the > driver outer joint that knocks! > > Here's the next problem. I can't get the inner race off the shaft. > I've oiled and heated and pounded and oiled and heated and pounded, > prayed, cursed and begged. Still not off. Any suggestions before > I > take it to the VW dealer to have it pressed off? > > ( everything is closed in Canada with Thanksgiving today ) > > And the question... I have a couple of 1970's vintage CV joints that > are > in much better shape than the ones I removed. Would they be okay > to > use? > > Okay, back to the grease. > > My wife just walked past me... hee hee, boy, do I stink. > > Many thanks again. > > Barry Mercer > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.