Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Oct 2001 22:43:47 -0700
From:         Alpha Auto Sales <vanagon@ALPHAAUTOSALES.NET>
Subject:      Ultimate Fix #1

Since 1969 there is only one repair process I have implemented that got phone calls of thanks from multiple customers, some were so pleased with the results they told their Wasserboxer owning friends who called for appointments and repeated the compliment cycle.

It started on a Synchro, I think it was a 1996 model, belonging to the good Dr.*****. His Synchro suffered from an idle problem of one sort or another, I forget the details, it doesn't matter since this process fixes several idle problems, mixture problems and cranking problems too. Works on other vehicles too, but not as dramatically as on Wasserboxers, thanks to VW's pre Ben Franklin Electrical Engineering Schools. Anyway, the Dr's idle stabilizer valve, properly called an I.S.C., or Idle Speed Controller by the rest of the industry, would not respond properly to bypass screw adjustments, no amount of fiddling would bring the closed loop control current to the specified 430 ma fluctuating, in fact, in open loop, it ran around 480 ma. I found a ground wire eyelet for the circuit on the forward engine compartment wall, cut the eyelet off, SOLDERED a new eyelet, CLEANED the attachment point to BRIGHT METAL and reassembled with a NEW SCREW and WASHER. Open loop control current dropped to 475 ma, an improvement, but not enough. One by one I repeated the process on all the ground connectors for the EFI control unit circuitry. While repairing the connector clusters under the coil and on the left cylinder head, I added a 10 gauge ground strap parallel to the factory web strap and another from the under coil cluster to the left upper bell housing bolt. I also REPLACED the battery ground cable. End result was an open loop control current of 430 ma, exactly as specified. Oh yeah, on the late models there is another connector hiding under the back seat near the control unit, sometimes blocked by Westfalia cabinetry, don't forget it. You want to test and see if this process is needed?? Sure thing!! Take your DVOM, set to a range of no more than two, maybe four volts, connect it between the battery negative post and an alternator or engine block ground, pull the double green wire connector from the coil to disable spark and have a friend crank the engine while you watch the meter. Anything over 0.5 volts is totally unacceptable, I've never seen a reading below 0.17 volts on a perfect system so don't panic when you can't get to zero, it just can't be done, at least not until Bosch, the true King of Darkness (Lucas is only the Prince) implements super cooled superconductors for automotive use (not in our lifetimes!!).

Another note on idle problems; thoroughly test the idle switch(es), procedure should be in your Bentley book. Some can be adjusted to work ok, others need new parts.

NOW LISTEN UP!! NO more complaints about idle problems until after you've followed ALL these instructions first!! Let me summarize. CUT the connectors. SOLDER on NEW eyelets, crimp them first. Preferable to cluster as many wires together, i.e. the cylinder head cluster I think contains seven wires. A little care and patience can stuff them all in three yellow eyelets, TAKE THE YELLOW INSULATION OFF BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO SOLDER!! ALL CONNECTORS WILL BE REATTACHED TO BRIGHT METAL!! Too lazy to do them all?? Wrongo, bucko, get on with it and do all of 'em at once, you'll be glad you did.

Fixes idle, timing, charging and slow cranking problems. You think you need a new battery 'cause your brick cranks slow? Maybe you do, but you'd be foolhardy to not fix your grounds first.

What's that you say? Your A/C compressor is in the way?? Too bad, you bought it, now deal with it, move that dead weight out of the way and get on with changing all those eyelets. You know you're overdue for belts anyway.

OK, now that you all are privy to one of my personal trade secrets, please, somebody buy the Westy I've got posted at http://www.alphaautosales.net/vanagon90/index.htm maybe I'll post again with the final word on Wasserboxer cooling system filling and bleeding.

Please no direct replies, use the list, I may reply privately.

Sincerely, Ron Austin webmaster@alphaautosales.net '79 Westmoreland Rabbit '71 Chevy C-20 '74 Gitane Pista '98 Specialized Allez Jeep Dreams