Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Oct 2001 07:49:09 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Odometer stopped
Comments: To: Peter Krogh <VW85Westy@AOL.COM>

This would mean your speedo quit as well. If they both go, cable is shot or disconnected. Usually it is the small metal gear on the end of the cluster that drives the trip odometer that fails. My Jetta did the same thing. Interestingly, it works better in cold weather. When the interior warms up, it starts slipping again. What we need is a source for this gear. Anyone?

Jay

Peter Krogh <VW85Westy@AOL.COM> on 10/15/2001 10:28:57 PM

Please respond to VW85Westy@AOL.COM

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: (bcc: Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont) Subject: Re: Odometer stopped

Joseph, When my odometer stopped, it was the hub on the left front wheel that was the problem. There is a little square pin that fits into the hub, and on mine it had stripped. I drove for about a year and a half like that and finally fixed it. It cost about $4.50 from a junkyard. Rule this out before anything else. As I recall, you can see it by popping off the hubcap. Disclaimer: This was a decade or so ago, so I may be remembering the details wrong. I do remember, however, that it was very easy to see how the thing worked. Peter

In a message dated 10/15/01 6:54:20 PM, Joseph_P._McNiff@FFIC.COM writes: << Hi all, My Odometer stopped working, also trip counter at the same time. My mechanic says its $200. He says they take it out of the dash and take it to someone esle to fix one of the gears that is broke inside. My question is how hard is it to take out the instrument cluster from the dash. And has anyone been able to fix this themselves. >>