Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:03:30 EDT
From:         Sean Lynch <Chgolynch@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Diesel Vanagon Answer

First off, I'll admit to having a bit of a Vanagon bias. Having four of 'em is a pretty good tip off.

I have an '80 aircooler with A/C and rubber floors. I have an '83 GL aircooler with no antenna hole or speaker fitments. I have an '86 GL with the works.

I also have this battered '82 GL Diesel.

Of the four, the diesel has the highest mileage, the most beat up body, panel cancer, a mashed rear bumper, and a slightly rumpled passenger front corner. It has the lame black steel wheels, and cheezy whitewall tires. It's painted in that less than desirable brown/tan scheme that nobody really seemed to like. The rear end is almost perpetually covered in soot, no matter how frequently/infrequently I wash it. It has speakers, but no radio. Somebody broke the OEM antenna, and it has an uberlong mast poking out of the driver's front corner, which wobbles about and taps against the rain gutter when at speed. The sway bar's broken on the passenger side. The engine's started to leave small oil spots if left parked long enough. Changing the oil is always a messy process. I almost learned the hard way about the importance of installing a camshaft splashguard, and that a runaway diesel is a VERY BAD thing. It's terribly slow, and rather noisy at speed. Passing anything other than parked cars is nearly impossible. Why VW decided that a 2.5 ton box only needed a 48hp motor is beyond me.

I worship this van.

Of all my Vanagons, my diesel has been the faithful one. I use it as my daily driver. I used it as my rolling command post during my service in the 2000 Census. I put 300+ miles daily on that van during the Census, and she never let me down. In three years, the van's only given me one minor scare (the runaway), and had one noteworthy failure (passenger wheel bearing, which went very slowly and gently). The chassis has nearly 250K on it, and just got a completely new braking system installed, on account of old age and corrosion. I have bought new sheetmetal and bumpers for it from Bus Depot, and as soon as I finish overhauling my '80s motor, the diesel goes to the body shop for panel repair and a respray in her less-than-flattering scheme. Painting it will be the most expensive thing I've done to it, exceeding the total outlay I have so far in the van.

In my opinion, a diesel Vanagon is one of the most faithful friends you can ask for.

- Sean L.

Still the romantic when it comes to his DSELBOX...