Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:56:35 -0700
From:         Alpha Auto Sales <vanagon@ALPHAAUTOSALES.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ultimate Fix #1
Comments: To: Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.COM>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ari Ollikainen" <Ari@OLTECO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, 16 October, 2001 15:10 Subject: Re: Ultimate Fix #1

> It started on a Synchro, I think it was a 1996 model, belonging >to the good Dr.*****.

I wasn't aware that there were ANY "Synchro" Vanagons available in 1996 or any other year...perhaps you meant a 1986 Syncro?

You have nothing better to do than pick apart typos??

[SNIP]

> You want to test and see if this process is needed?? Sure >thing!! Take your DVOM, set to a range of no more than two, maybe >four volts, connect it between the battery negative post and an >alternator or engine block ground, pull the double green wire >connector from the coil to disable spark and have a friend crank the >engine while you watch the meter.

Or perhaps this vehicle you're describing actually has a battery within sight of the engine and alternator and ISN'T a Vanagon at all? When fooling with a [D]VOM around **MY** Vanagon, I don't usually have a spool of wire available to connect between one of the handy grounds in the engine compartment and the battery post in the battery compartment in the right front wheelwell...

No, I'm describing a process easily accomplished with a decent DVOM, I use a Fluke 78 http://www.fluke.com/products/home.asp?SID=1&AGID=1&PID=2279 with an accessory lead package http://www.fluke.com/products/home.asp?AGID=1&SID=1&PID=17355 for this, the leads stretch from the battery in it's usual location, though the rear area, across the rear seat or bed and into the engine compartment. The meter ends up on or just in front of the back seat. You do have a DVOM you spent more that $20.00 at Kmart don't you? I also note how you bracket the [D] in DVOM, should I then assume you are still using your grandfather's old analog meter?? Perhaps you have the Ben Franklin model?

[SNIP]

> OK, now that you all are privy to one of my personal trade secrets,

Cleaning grounds has always been a GoodThing(tm) but it's never been a secret to those who take care of their ageing vehicles. However, thanks for the reminder...

Then quit flaming and fix yours!!

>please, somebody buy the Westy I've got posted at > http://www.alphaautosales.net/vanagon90/index.htm maybe I'll post >again with the final word on Wasserboxer cooling system filling and >bleeding.

Whatever...EXCEPT that the vehicle you're selling is the same as a Carat (with the exception of the Wolfsburg medallion] + the Country Homes conversion. It's NOT a "Westy"...

I'm not selling, I'm the webmaster. I'm told it's a Weekender package, and that part makes it a Westy. Don't shoot the messenger, OK? Or I'll curse you with a daily clutch replacement on a Synchro!! Also, kindly note on http://www.alphaautosales.net/vanagon90/index.htm the center picture in the fourth row down http://www.alphaautosales.net/vanagon90/wph5.jpg and then tell me again it's not a Westy. You are so right, it is not a Westy, but clearly a Westfalia.

Sincerely, Ron Austin webmaster@alphaautosales.net '79 Westmoreland Rabbit '71 Chevy C-20 '74 Gitane Pista '98 Specialized Allez Jeep Dreams