Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:36:00 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Near Death Experience in the Vanagon

On 18 Oct 2001 at 1:50, Mark Sheflo wrote:

> I realize that it is my Van, my abilities and my choices that have the > largest effect on my survival on the road.

Very true...

Two close calls that I've had in 5 years of Westy driving:

Returning from our first trip in our '88 Westy (Wash, Ore & N.Cal coasts), while climbing the notorious long hill out of Goldstream park on the Malahat drive, only about 20 mins from home, in the rain, some moron in a full size American sedan rounded a corner coming at me and continued to come at me at about 80-90 km/h. I was in the left lane going uphill, with a rock face on my left, and the right lane and a guard rail on my right, no shoulder. I wrenched the wheel to the right as close to the guard rail as I dare, and watched in horror as the out of control car careened through the left lane where I had been. This being the first avoidance move I had made in the van, I was impressed at its ability to perform such a move quickly and without a fuss. Many vehicles, such as the sedan coming at me, would have failed such a test.

The most recent one: last Saturday we drove home from Redmond, OR via Yakima and Leavenworth, preferring to avoid the Interstates. About 2 miles south of Biggs, OR on Hwy 97, I rounded a corner to find a Toyota pickup on the right shoulder of the 2 lane road, with something sticking out the driver's window. A split second later I realize it is a RIFLE with a scope!! Since I am doing about 90-100 km/h I had very little time to decide what to do. I simultaneously leaned on the horn and hammered the brakes, although there was NO chance of stopping before I passed him. Fortunately he raised the gun very quickly upon hearing the horn, and pulled it in the truck. Although I barely had time to consider what I would have done if the gun was not raised, I do recall afterward thinking about clipping it with van mirror to avoid a possible shot. I'm glad it didn't come to that. Seconds after passing the truck I look to the left across a small ravine and see two large deer bounding along the hillside at full speed, indicating he had probably already fired once, and was preparing to take another shot when I passed. I spent the next few minutes looking for a cop (which I didn't find before crossing the stateline) and wondering how many laws this moron was breaking. At the very least, he could parked on the ravine side of the road to avoid shooting across traffic.

======================== Shawn Wright Computer Systems Manager Shawnigan Lake School http://www.sls.bc.ca swright@sls.bc.ca