Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:19:19 -0500
From:         Milo <ovalwindow@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Raceware Exchange w/ Diesel Engine in Vanagon (Concluded)
Comments: To: Yahoo Diesel List Posting <Audi-VW-Diesels@yahoogroups.com>,
          VW Diesel List Posting <diesel@vwfans.com>

My original post to the list asked if I could exchange the 12mm stretch head bolts w/ Raceware Studs w/ the rear cabinets in my Westfalia. I received several replies, the consensus was that this was possible.

Well, the verdict is in. It's not only possible, but pretty easy. (Keep in mind that I didn't remove the head). The hardest part is threading the studs in by finger, I think my right trigger finger still has some grooves in it! :-)

Thanks to the folks who originally suggested Raceware. 200 miles, and no signs of leaking from the head gasket. I'd like to add that I now seem to have more power than before the swap, and I'm certainly no longer worried about what the rebuilder did (or didn't do) when he threw the new head on a few months ago.

Raceware doesn't send directions for a swap w/ the head still on, but they do give directions for the head off. I called them, and this is the procedure they suggested.

1.) Drain coolant. 2.) Remove stretch bolts and replace w/ Raceware, one at a time. 3.) Use the order of head bolt installation from Bently (start in center and move out). 4.) Initially, torque the Raceware to 25 ft./lbs. 5.) After all ten Raceware studs are in place, torque (in Bently order) to 50 ft./lbs. 6.) Warm engine. 7.) Shut off engine. Let cool to "room temp.". 8.) Retorque Raceward studs (in Bently order) to 50 ft./lbs. 9.) Don't forget to have fun!

Ok, so I added that last one. But geez, it sure is nice to have the Vanagon on the road again.

Thanks, John