Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:27:56 EDT
From:         Robert Keezer <WarmerWagen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Crash Test Ratings Not So Good -- Re: Near Death
              Experience in th...

If I may add a few thoughts here- a solid concrete barrier or anything heavy, bigger and or unmovable is very unforgiving to a Vanagon.

However, hitting another vehicle such as the Volvo, or in my case, a 1992 Pontiac Grand Am, is another story.

You are familiar with the Volvo -Vanagon crash test. My own personal test was really a five car pile-up in 1996 and I had no way out but to hit the farthest vehicle from me--the Grand AM.

By the time I hit I may have been going 35, skidding 100 feet -knocking the Pontiac 20 feet away from me. The rear of the car was crunched flush with the bottom rear window.

My Vanagon was punched in around the right headlight .

No frame or suspension damage-I drove away-the Grand Am was totaled. I have seen other cars-anything larger usually gets the upper hand. Hitting the unmovable or that moving toward your front is the most unforgiving. The Accord that rear ended the Grand Cherokee was totalled-the Cherokee barely damaged. All the sedans in the 5 car pile up were totalled-ecept the Jeep and the Vanagon-from a personal perspective.( Sure, the insurance company would have totaled my Westy, but since I didn't have the full coverage I though I had, I paid out of pocket to have it fixed.) My point is you are safer in a Vanagon from most other areas of the vehicle from impact to sides and rear-and, not being very collapsible, the car vehicle that hits these areas fares badly. I have seen many vanagons that were wrecked-hitting a pole dead center is the worst I have seen. The others all look like minor injuries or none.

Vehicles like sedans don't want to be hit by the battering ram Vanagon. Even your SUV's don't have the crash rail that a Vanagon has. Their higher center of gravity makes them roll when hit by another vehicle-but they are heavy-avoid hitting one. And please don't try my test crash. Double the minimum distance between yourself and the car ahead as much as possible-and, if you can't help it, like in stop and go, then only behind a smaller vehicle. (Sorry, sedans)

Robert 1982 Westfalia

[text/html]