Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:39:01 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Crash Test Ratings Not So Good --

> According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration > (NHTSA), the DRIVER of the Vanagon has a greater than 45% chance of > sustaining life-threatening injuries from a frontal collision (a > single-star, "POOR" rating). This test is performed by driving dummies head > on into a concrete barrier at 35 mph. > By contrast, the same (frontal) collision in an '87 Volvo 740 is rated at > "EXCELLENT", five stars, a 10% chance of life-threatening injury for the > driver. > And then, on the other hand, you get written testimonials like Adam Brooks'. > So what's the deal here, people? Are Vanagons as bad as their crash test > ratings say they are? Thoughts anyone???

well ... you can believe the NHTSA if you want to.

my insurance company is USAA ... which, i believe, is a pretty good one. and they give me a 'safe car discount' on my 88 bus and my 91 bus. (oddly enough, they do NOT give it to me for my 87 camper. go figure). now, my guess is that their discounts are based on the numbers of those years that have had low accident rates or low-cost accidents and/or low medical costs from any accidents. but then, why don't they use the NHTSA figures and charge me more?

from what i've seen, based on old figures from Consumer Reports, the Vanagon is rated way lower than the Chevy Astro. we have an Astro at work, and i hate to drive the thing ... there is no way it is safer than my Vanagon ... if you have a frontal crash in that thing, you're gonna break at least both ankles .. the wheelwell intrudes so much into the driver's leg area. and from what i've seen, the frame isn't very substantial at all.

but it all comes back down to the driver. a vw beetle is, by today's standards, NOT a safe car. yet people all over the world drove them for years and years, and it never got the reputation of an 'unsafe car' (unless you believe what Ralph Nader says. and if you will check up on the sources of his data for the book "Unsafe at any Speed", as Road & Track magazine did, you might be surprised to find out that he fudged a lot of the data so it showed what he wanted it to show!!) ... whereas the Ford Pinto wasn't out that long at all, and look at it's reputation. same thing with the Chevy Corvair. and it wasn't just the axles ... the Mercedes SL280 had the same axle setup, as did the Beetle and Porsches of the day, and they didn't get the reputation. ;)

to me, what this shows is that 'reputation' is based on magazines and newspapers, not on fact or driving experience. and any driver who fails to learn the ins and outs of her/his particular vehicle is asking for trouble. you have GOT to learn to drive the beast the way IT is safest ... you can't drive a Jeep the same way you drive a Corvette, and you can't drive a Vanagon the same way you drive a Jeep (or anything else). :)

are they safe? kinda depends on you, doesn't it. :)

unca joel