Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:03:39 -0700
From:         Dan Snow <dieselvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Devil's advocate, was: Near Death Experience in the Vanagon

I'd like to play devil's advocate for a minute:

1) If we base our opinions on Vanagon safety on anecdotes from people on this list, we are restricting attention to a very non-representative sample of Vanagon owners. Obviously, anyone who has been seriously injured or has had a passenger killed or injured is going to lose their enthusiasm for Vanagons and not participate in this list. I think this would be the same on the Volvo lists, Mercedes lists, or Unimog lists. If you want to see something disturbing, look at the link I found when I was searching for a 3-passenger middle seat: http://www.state.nh.us/courts/supreme/opinions/0009/trull.htm Regardless of who (or what) is at fault here, it sort of takes the wind out of any enthusiast's sails to see or experience something this tragic.

2) I am heartened by the anecdotal evidence that Vanagons don't deform much in accidents. I think the height and build quality helps. But don't forget that TWO things help you come out ahead in a big exchange of energy between your car and another car: mass and distance. Mass is nice, because you accelerate the other guy, rather than getting accelerated yourself; distance is nice because it increases the delta T over which you get your V delta'd. A=DV/DT. So we shouldn't become too overconfident when we see seriously smashed up front ends on passenger sedans and we don't see them on Vanagons. The camper that rolled into a tree at 65 mph had to accelerate from 65 mph to 0 mph in about a foot, which HAS to hurt. Crush zones are good.

I guess my point is that I am encouraged that Vanagons are much safer than the general public thinks they are, but that we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking we are driving an S-Class Mercedes. Just be careful and drive like you are on a motorcycle (alert, thinking of escape routes) regardless of the car you are driving.

Daniel Snow PhD Student UC Berkeley

'82 Vanagon Diesel '78 Puch Maxi Luxe Moped '01 Xootr Scooter