Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:28:59 -0700
From:         pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: prescription drugs, side effects, tach conversions, CARB/BAR
Comments: To: subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com

Hi Y'all,

What seems to be missing is a logic description and functional specification for the ECUs. I'm pretty sure one is out there somewhere and I have some feelers en-guaged. If I get interesting results from these feeler guages I'll post. We're doing black box analysis of an unknown system without knowing the range of possible inputs or how to measure the outputs. Tricky stuff and fraught with error, that.

FWIW "most" VDO/motometer tach units have as we might expect a different pulse counting module for different motors. Klaus, jr at PaloAltoSpeedo is well aware of this and tends to keep the secrets to himself so he can pay the bills by marketing his skills. They are for the most part interchangeable. Mosey over to the local picnpull and snap up a trashed tach to take it apart and see how it assembles. The thingy that has the flex circuit going to it at the bottom ? of the tach is the "module" to which I refer. It is my opinion that there are several head units with various rpm ranges and several modules that drive these head units. The dial markings are really a conversion between the angular displacement per revolution and the rpm you want to read at that angular displacement.

Another advantage of SmallCar's guage face kit is that they have a more modern look to complement the modern motor and they are easier to read than the white on black original motif.

A possible conversion that retains the look and "feel" of the original VDO cluster is to use the five cylinder tach from an AUDI 5K. It goes to 7000 redline and works rather well with a modified diode summing junction for FOUR of the pulses from the six available ignitor signals on the SVX loom. Yeppo, four not five. Five gives a 20% high reading using Brian's "undocumented" harness. When trout season closes in the Sierra, I'll devote a little more investigation into this curious phenomenon and of course post the findings. Er, the tach thing not the fishing thing.

Maybe there is a side effect here too, that has the result of running the motor slightly rich. The O2 was very high when I measured the CO,CO2,NOx,O2,HC on a dyno using the CARB test environment and the proper GVW parameters. This would indicate rich running with the Cat converting lots of the HC to H2O and CO2. Sure enough if you idle long enough you get water exiting the exhaust tip. If there is crosstalk in the wiring harness that would cause the ECU to operate in "limp home" or "limp dick" mode then the occasional, cat destroying backfire that Brian mentions would of course be logical. An side effect of getting to use a state supplied dyno at a very reasonable rate is that it also has a torque measuring feature. In top gear at "80%" load and a steady 4300 rpm the rear wheel torque read ~150 lbs-ft. Pretty far from the motor spec of >200lbs-ft. Like the esteemed Nolan mentions, this motor is seriously underperforming according to the data so far. Might also account for the high fuel consumption and hot running. But what is the root cause...conjecture so far...no definitive data.

The local aircraft folks use a custom ECU of course to avoid all the unused sensor inputs. In environments where logic prevails over bureaucratic bullshit one need not have all the "factory original" junk on the motor as long as the crankcase, fuel system and exhaust emissions meet the specified bounds. Tacoma is blessed with such an enlightened government as is ootah, hideho, orygun and other modern societies. Unfortunately, the graft and corruption crew here in sunny Kalifornia has seen fit to allow any unregistered alien who can steal a CARB machine to charge 50$ to sniff my ass and provide a printout that says to the CDFs at DMV that I can pay another exhorbitant sum to register it.

Seque...The local desert racer folks also use the SVX and other motors in their awesomely expensive toys. A fine firm in SoCal builds vanagon automatics to manual shift and reliably (for a race car) handle the 400+ HP the modified 3.3l motors produce in race trim. They use oil coolers and a rather large forced air radiator system to handle the heat. Baja 1000 is coming up. I was astonished at the cost of building a competive machine. Ready to race, it makes a 12000$ ticket for upgradin' der sing crow pullman (note required vanagon content here) look paltry. My first house in Los Altos cost less than a non competitive desert racer costs today. But hey, you don't have to deal with the bureaucrats to race offroad.

Two methods of verification here in Kalifornia. BAR and CARB. BAR uses the "referee" a powerful lesser bureaucrat, who extorts a fee to hunker and grunt over the patient and probe and prod and enemize until he decrees the worthiness of the conversion. Gives the poor taxpayer a "BAR code" sticker and after all that garbage you can now go pay the other dude mentioned above to sniff your ass.

CARB certifies a type of installation and will issue a letter of compliance that in summary says if you use this and that part specifically on a particular motor of a particular vintage range you are allowed to have the previously mentioned dude sniff your ass for 50$ and send the results to DMV so you can register your car. All this from the state that de-regulates only the supply side of the power system. Surprised? I'm not. Drop your pants, sir, and bend over the table or we won't let you drive on the roads your taxes have already paid for. Truly depressing.

Now where's my welbutrin.

pensioner (SmallCar SVX syncro conversion still under development)