Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:24:35 -0700
From:         Dan Snow <dieselvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: block core heater

For what it's worth: When I was an engine line supervisor for Uncle Henry Ford (they made us beancounters do a few months in the plant to toughen us up), the way we did it (on Expeditions and Navigators where customers had ordered the immersion heaters) was to stick a blunt metal bar about 3/8" in diameter on one side of the freeze plug, whack it good with a hammer, and when that half of the plug pushed into the block, the other end would pop out. Grab the protruding end with pliers and give it a yank. YRMV because these were brand, shiny new engines straight from the engine plant (ie didn't have 300,000 miles of rust). Incidentally, we had lots of customer complaints about leaking block heaters because the block heaters' rubber seals were very sensitive to the torque on the bolt that expands the seal. Too much torque, it leaks; too little torque, it leaks...

Daniel Snow PhD Student UC Berkeley

'82 Vanagon Diesel '78 Puch Maxi Luxe Moped '72 Motobecane Mobylette Moped '01 Xootr Scooter