Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Oct 2001 00:42:19 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: On Transmission Ratios, Diesels, Conversions and Fish
Comments: To: sullivan@openmarket.com

Mike,

I assume these numbers are measured at the wheel. Or have they been corrected for transmission gearing and the radius of the wheel? The torque output of the 1.6L NA Vanagon Diesel is 66.56 foot pounds at a true 60 mph/stock tires (4089 rpm). The 1.6L turbodiesel is putting out 88.75 foot pounds at the same rpm. It seems characteristic of the diesels that the torque quickly rises to a max at lower rpm, then falls off on the way to and past 4000 rpm. With the 5.86 trans running with a 0.85 fourth gear, the shaft torque at the rear axle is 331.5 foot pounds for the NA diesel, and 442 foot pounds for the 1.6 TD.

I'll incorporate those numbers in the lists. The numbers I have posted are maximums in that I have not attempted to correct for power train losses. That is why I posted relative numbers and only numbers for manual transmission vehicles.

BTW, as I looked at your numbers particularly with the Upsolute chip, I am moved to ask if you are old enough to remember the Motoloy Engine and transmission treatment? I clearly remember how slippery and shiny the liquid was that came out of my uncle's MG TD transmission. As a kid with my first microscope, I was just fascinated with the little metal shapes in the oil slurry. I also have a vague recollection of eagerly cataloging a huge number of unique Anglo-Saxon phrases he was uttering for days, before the tow truck came.

Of course, I'm sure that Weddle uses shot peened Dicronite coated gears that were case hardened, so no problem!

Frank Grunthaner