Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:46:13 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: crashing....

>How far out does a roo bar/catcher extend? Does the >state get involved in what you can and can't extend >from the front of a van? > >I think a properly deisgned roo bar could add to >safety in a crash by adding crush space. Any >mechanical engineers out there who know how to design >these things?

Bullbars have been implicated in making what should have been minor acidents into major ones. For instance, a Toyota Hiace with steel bullbar hit a Datsun Sunny 120Y (=B210) which ran an country intersection. If the van hadn't had a bar the car would've just brushed across its nose. However the bar was there, and embedded itself in the side of the speeding car. The impact wrenched the van sideways, flipping it into a telephone pole and killing several passengers. A bit of a fluke, but accidents of this sort WILL happen. This isn't why I pulled the alloy roobar (well, it's Australian-made) off my Caravelle. An aluminum bar is sfot, and will not stop a large animal causing major damage; the bar will just fold back and do the damage itself.