Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:46:00 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Chattering Clutch
Comments: To: clerkin@STUDENTS.UIUC.EDU

My tranny locked in fourth gear about five years ago (Air Cooled 83 Westy). It locked up in Monroe Louisiana about 270 miles from my home in Dallas Texas. I managed to get into first gear with the engine off and shifted into lock position once I started the engine and never made a stop for 270 miles of interstate. I was running on vapors when I got to Dallas and I ran the six or so red lights from the freeway to my front door at 2AM. I'd check the motor mounts before I left town and run that baby back home; it doesn't chatter in high gear at 50-65 so go for it. The upside is..... labor rates are cheaper the farther you get from SF and get back to high priced the closer you get to Chicago. If it blows at the halfway point, at least you'll get a fair price on the labor. Just remember to buy your parts before you leave. I've got a new clutch kit at http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/00drive.htm for $90.00 US

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air Cooled Air cooled parts for sale http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/parts.htm

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:02:37 -0500 patrick paul clerkin <clerkin@STUDENTS.UIUC.EDU> writes: > Hello All, > My '86 GL has developed a little clutch chatter (only when > the > engine is cold.) I recently purchased the premium LUK clutch kit > from Bus > Depot along with the front main seal because I was fearful that I > would > need a new clutch very soon. However the clutch has been doing this > for > about 2 months and it really hasn't gotten any worse. I am > currently > living in the Bay area, but my permanent residence is in Illinois > where I > will return in 3 months. My dilemna is that I do not have the tools > or > the workspace to do the job here, and I was considering holding off > replacing the clutch and main seal until I arrive back in Illinois. > However, the van will have to drive about 2,200 miles to get me > home. My > question is: Does anyone have an opinoin on whether or not it is > necessary to replace the clutch before the journey? > > Thanks, > Patrick > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.