Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Oct 2001 04:29:59 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [subaruvanagon] Diesel to Gas engine conversion?
Comments: To: subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com, turbovan@olypen.com

In a message dated 10/22/01 11:19:16 PM, turbovan@olypen.com writes:

<< Frank, that's because the 1982 Diesel Vanagon in North America with the DZ transaxle is one of the lowest geared cars anywhere .

If you never go over 52 mph it's fine, but it's screaming at 60 and you can never cruise down a big grade at 70, etc. It's a joke. Lousy spacing between the gear ratios - or better put : the torque curve and the gear ratios just don't work out. Unpleasant to drive. People get by with them forever, but it's like having a 4-speed car with 4th gear gone, really.

There is a rare 4-speed trans with code DM . . I have only seen one. It's slightly better if not almost tolerable, and with bigger rear tires . ... not that bad. Have never seen one in a Westy, just a 7-passenger. Does that answer your question ? Scott >>

Scott,

I'm heading for 80,000 on my conversion, DZ transaxle and all. I have clocked a real 95+ mph on mine with the engine at 6100 rpm. I have put more than 10,000 of those miles on during summer trips to hell-on-earth (southwest Texas) from LA in daylight runs, A/C on full blast with 4 people in a fully loaded Westfalia at 85 mph, 5500 rpm, 17 mpg and 5 hour running intervals (26 gallon fuel capacity) and she has never failed me. Still no metal residues in the oil. The engine sings. The combination of torque, gearing and 5300 pound slab-sided high drag box come together very well. I use all four speeds all the time. Merging into LA traffic at 65 to 70 in third seems like it was designed for the purpose. Mistakenly driving up Barbi Benton's driveway took all the torque I could muster in first. Backed out of a so-called campsite in Yosemite that required going up a mountain in reverse. Geared nicely. Then there was that flash shift to second on Crow Mountain. Yikes. Personally fondled em all.

I strongly disagree with all your statements. For example, with less than 1K on the engine (diesel), I went down the Alps via the Brenner Pass at 73 indicated! Scared the hell out of the cop on the Vespa passing me.

I have posted some of the torque, load, fuel consumption and gearing data for these vehicles and power train combinations in a separate post.

Socrates and wisdom!

Frank Grunthaner